·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Author Topic
kriggevaer
Posted - 07/05/2007 : 12:46:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my Schultz & Larsen Model 61, a veritable behemoth at 14.5 1lbs, 1" diameter, 27" long barrel. I believe (someone correct if I'm wrong) that the M61 meets the international specifications for a "free" rifle. Schultz & Larsen referred to it as a "Skyttegevær Kortbane", short range rifle. Mine did not come with a hand rest, but maybe I'll stumble into one someday. The rifle was a direct development from the Nr. 45, 46, 47, and 49 target rifles. Production began around 1959, but it is not known how many M61 rifles were made. It was a fairly prominent rifle in free rifle competitions during the 1960s and 1970s. The hand rest itself is a marvel of woodworking craft Adjustible set trigger. I haven't put it through its paces yet, but once I find my zero, I will shoot it at 100 meters and see how it does.

·
Registered
113 Posts
your old post about the S&L M61...THAT IS WHAT I HAVE

Kriggevaar

tell me more about this rifle....what is your serial number?? mine is 2201 I think... I have both butt types, plus the palm rest thingy...The sights are nice Parker Hale's....but how do you get the bolt out?
The bluing is in fantastic condition and wood is very nice walnut too....are there any other variations of this target model?? it has the same trigger mechanism as yours...a reverse forward set trigger and then a rear fine trigger....very nicely machined mechanisms!
The old man I picked this one up from only shot it when he was young....and yes.. it weighs a lot....very barrel heavy...how many are in existance? hwo much are they typically going for? have never seen one for sale before and just now found your old post on this one...
when were they made?
Lars

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Lars! Long time no see - good to have you back.

Mine is an early production M61, serial number 2002. Later on S&L changed the rear diopter and mounting system. The Parker Hale sights would have to be an add on since S&L mounted its proprietary diopters on these rifles. The M61 is a direct descendant of Niels Larsen's M45, M46, M47, M49 series of .22 rimfire free rifles. Production began around 1959 and probably continued until 1970. They are still listed in the 1968 and 1969 brochures and catalogs. Total production numbers are unknown and it is difficult to speculate on. The centerfire version, the M62, only about 370 rifles were built, but I suspect that quite a few more rimfire M61s were made. Some of the M61 ended up being used by shooting clubs in Denmark. It is unknown how many made it to the USA. To remove the bolt you unlatch the small tab/lever on the rear of the left side of the receiver. Oh yeah, my m61 weighs in at a little over 14 pounds.

·
Registered
113 Posts
mine looks very much like yours....but has the woden palm for left hand off hand shooting.... the lever on the rear left side deos not seem to allow the bolt to release....am slowly going over it and the PJ Wright CG1900 NRa across the course rifle in 308 I received in at same dealer yesterday.. and my hoem PC is blown up as well....all in all they are very similiar... and that set trigger.... oh my god... even I never put triggers on my cg1900's like that... well close but not exactly'
so is there any literature available for these M61's...?
and yes rather heavy....this one was not shot much... bluing in bottom of breeech to chamber area is still nicely blued... and action is stamped SYSTEM SCHULTZ LARSEN on the left side....
homem to work on the PC and all three new guns....for now
lars

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And old review or two in American magazines. Some information in the Danish language S&L book, but not much technical information. Flipping the lever open should allow the bolt to come out, not sure why yours doesn't and it will be Monday before I can get to my rifles. Mine has the hand rest, but I took it off for picture taking purposes.

Lars, send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send you scans from the 1968/69 factory brochure.

·
Silver Bullet member
49,409 Posts
nice gun....very nice

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi unclegeorge,

I need to post some new photos of some of my other S&L free rifles, falling blocks and bolt actions from the 1920s through the 1960s. I have an earlier post on my Nr. 3 centerfire and Nr. 21 rimfire falling block rifles and our friend arilar contributed much information on some of the great Swedish competition shooters who used S&L rifles.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,186 Posts
Slightly OT, but I have a K31-actioned 300m target rifle with a Schultz & Larsen barrel.

In .308Win.

tac

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi unclegeorge,

I need to post some new photos of some of my other S&L free rifles, falling blocks and bolt actions from the 1920s through the 1960s. I have an earlier post on my Nr. 3 centerfire and Nr. 21 rimfire falling block rifles and our friend arilar contributed much information on some of the great Swedish competition shooters who used S&L rifles.
Hi kriggevaer, when you find the time to post some photos it will be a treat to me for sure;and I guess for others also;Thankyou !!!!!!!! :):):).

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's not much info on these rifles that I can find, so I'll add mine here as well. It has a different rear sight than Kriggevaer's rifle, so I guess it's one of the later ones. It's got a dovetail on the side of the action that the sight bracket slides into.

Mine has the 1.5 oz trigger, and it takes a bit of getting used to after shooting anything else. If I ever find it's big brother M62, I'll definitely have to add that to the collection too.
Kristian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts