Schultz & Larsen Model 65DL
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122999
Printed on: 09/11/2007
Topic:
Topic author: kriggevaer
Subject: Schultz & Larsen Model 65DL
Posted on: 09/04/2005 11:07:12 PM
This is my S&L M65DL. It is chambered for .30-06 and has those wonderful old Buehler scope mounts from the 1960's. The scope is a classic Redfield 4x36 manufactured in Denver, Colorado. I'll probably use this scope since the glass is perfect and the scope complements the rifle very well. The grip cap and forend tip are rosewood. This finish appears to be a type of varnish. Hand checkering on grip and forearm. The grip has a palm swell.

Download Attachment:
100.3 KB

Download Attachment:
76.73 KB
Notice in the photo below, that the rifle is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. I believe this is a factory job, as every 65DL I have examined is set up this way.
Download Attachment:
57.8 KB

Download Attachment:
102.24 KB

Download Attachment:
77.84 KB

The blueing on S&L rifles is just spectacular.
Download Attachment:
80.94 KB

Download Attachment:
60.34 KB
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mange Tak, Pettson! And you got some of the photos to hold place. Will that last long? I have plenty of photos, so if they disappear I can post some new ones.

Tusind Tak!:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Only for as long as the old forums last, but I'm planning to save and rearrange pictures in the threads I've moved. As soon as I get this &#!?&%!! FTP thingy to cooperate... And when that happens I might even get my homepage up again...

But do post some more pictures. Such a well made rifle really deserves it.

Pettson

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congratulations...

Congratulations Pettson.

So now you have finally realized that the danes makes a lot better guns than the swedes! I wish you had seen that long time ago (just like Kriggevær and I do).

Well just kidding. It seems to be a really nice rifle. In Denmark the price would have been something like 13.000 DKR! And I guess that prices will go up now that the book has been published.

Should you ever wish to sell the thing I at least know one buyer! Guess who! By the way where did you buy it (they might have more)?

Well good luck with your S&L. If I ever make a famous S&L-users list, I will of course include you!

Best from Umimmak

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nonononooo!
Open your eyes man! That was a repost by me. Original poster was - Kriggevaer...

But of course the S&L's are good rifles. Beautifully built. Too bad the user has to be built like Arnie Schwarzenegger to carry one around... ;)
But thanks anyway, for being pre-registered for the "most famous S&L list". I do appreciate the thought. :)

Pettson

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Now Wait a minute here - I am much taller (as we Danes are) and much better looking than Arnold Schwarzenegger!! :D:D:D;) And Ummimak has gone out on a date with Princessen Margerethe - I've seen the picture!! So, you know he travels in a high class crowd :D;)

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Now Wait a minute here - I am much taller (as we Danes are) and much better looking than Arnold Schwarzenegger!! :D:D:D;) And Ummimak has gone out on a date with Princessen Margerethe - I've seen the picture!! So, you know he travels in a high class crowd :D;)
I need to talk to Tuco about getting us a smilie for spitting coffee ..... it would be the prefect response to the blather above.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well this reminds me of when I started posting pictures here of swedes that surrenders to danes! I guess the swedish members of this forum have forgotten, but it was so funny that I am almost temptated to repost it!

But tomorrow I'll see if I can't get time to post a picture of me and the princess! You guys have something even more funny in wait! Just wait untill tomorrow!

Cheers from Umimmak

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
By all means. Then we can also repeat the win/loss ratio in Swedish-Dane battles! :D
I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of you and the princess. Didn't realize you were royally connected...

Pettson

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Totally OT - and hoping for forbearance...

As a matter of extreme irrelevance, I have a Schultz & Larsen-barrelled target rifle in .308Win that uses a late-manufactured Swiss K31 action, a W+F foresight, and a Gehmann diopter back-sight.

It is as homey as a mud fence but shoots like a mad thing.

Sadly, as I live in the UK, I do not post images of firearms.

Best wishes, and apologies.

tac in yUK

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Tac,
Well, it might be a little OT, but that is a bit of info I can add to my notebook, i.e., the existence of a K31 actioned target rifle with an S&L barrel. Actually sounds like a sensible combination to me - :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Schultz & Larsens

This year, I was lucky enough to purchace two Schultz & Larsens, a model 60 in 7x61 S&H, the other, a model 65DL in 308 Norman Mag. The M60 is a little finicky, just a good reason to reload (like I realy need one)! The M65DL is just dead nuts accurate!

Hopefully the pics of the M65DL come through. Have not taken pics of the M60 yet.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi USA Hunter and Welcome to the forum,

I believe the M60 rifles had a 1:12 twist and I know the M65 early production had a 1:12 twist. This was changed to 1:10 for the M65DL which of course will stablilize a greater range of bullet weights and lengths. The 1:12 rifles just don't seem to like bullets over 140 grain. You have discerning taste in rifles:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much are my Schultz & Larsen m65dl worth?

Hi there. I have two Schultz and Larsen rifles. Both m65dl's. One is .308 Norma mag twist 10" and the other is .358 norma mag twist 12". Both are in 90% condition or better. I am not finding much on these particular weapons values. Can anybody help?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hello,

You have two very fine rifles there:D The 65DL came out in 1960 and was superceded by the Model 68DL in 1966. Company records show 4,720 of the Model 65DL were made. The Model 65 was made in a great range of calibers, although not sure if records were kept on how many of each caliber were produced. The auctions have been running at $750-1,000 depending on condition. If you might be interested in selling the .358 NM, I would be interested:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Schultz & Larsen Rifles

Hello,

You have two very fine rifles there:D The 65DL came out in 1960 and was superceded by the Model 68DL in 1966. Company records show 4,720 of the Model 65DL were made. The Model 65 was made in a great range of calibers, although not sure if records were kept on how many of each caliber were produced. The auctions have been running at $750-1,000 depending on condition. If you might be interested in selling the .358 NM, I would be interested:D

I'm a new member who joined solely because of the exchange of information on Schultz & Larsen rifles discovered here. Frankly, I think that anyone who owns one owns one of the best rifles ever made; certainly the best bolt actions ever made. I own two, a Model 60 in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart that I've owned for 44 years next month and a more recently acquired Model 68DL in 358 Norma Mag. Someone on here noted they had a Model 65DL in 308 Norma Mag. The lucky stiff! If anyone knows of one for sale I'd be interested as the 308 Norma Mag. has almost identical loadings and ballistics to my old 30 Newton. The Schultz & Larsen's are simply wonderful rifles. One could never have too many of them!

30 Newton in Vermont, USA

1 - 20 of 53 Posts