Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Check the Gunbroker auction site as Numrich Parts has been selling various S&L target stocks on that auction.

The sights on the S&L target rifles were made by them in the Otterup factory, so replacement parts are not easy to come by. I have seen a very few on ebay over the years and other auction sites.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hello tom66,
You have a Model 70 Schultz & Larsen which was introduced sometime in 1969/70 or there about and was replaced by the Model 77 around 1977/78, so your rifle was made in that time period. The Model 77 was an upgrade of the Model 70. A new adjustable trigger was fitted to the M77 rifle. They were intended for 15-50 meter shooting, primarily for the shooting clubs in Denmark. Just a wild guess, but from the serial number, I would say your rifle was produced around 1973/74. The Model 70 is a very good light/medium weight target rifle. The original family owned company shut the factory doors in 1994.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Model 70 was intended to be a target rifle. Target rifles tend to have much larger diameter barrels to offset vibration and oscillation when the rifle is fired. This means, at least theoretically, that the rifle will be likely to shoot to the same point of impact every time it is fired, given that everything else has remainded unchanged. The everything else is largely the shooter's consistency in maintaining the same position, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and choice of ammo. A heavier barrel is also easier for a shooter to stabilize from co-axial movement. When you aim a rifle as steady as you can the muzzle will still trace a circular or elliptical path around its own bore centerline axis. The better marksmen understand this and so position stability is extremely important in reducing the diameter of the circular muzzle trace. This of course applies to the unassisted shooting positions, i.e., standing, prone, kneeling, sitting, etc.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi unclegeorge,

It is possible that the barrel was fluted by the factory, but I think more likely done by another party. Your M70 is exceptional in the quality of wood and metal finish. The M70 was produced mostly for use by the shooting clubs in Denmark, so the quality was there, but the finish was not as nice as yours from the factory. The types of custom work done by S&L for individuals is not well known, so we see some variations of the various models that may or may not have been done at the factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.