Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twenty three years ago I inherited a Swedish carbine that I kept in my closet for about 15 years, before selling it to a good friend that just liked short rifles. Not knowing anything about the carbine, neither he nor I were aware of it's rare status. My friend died not long ago and his guns were sold at auction. I never fired the carbine and I don't believe he did either. Recently, I aquired a model 96-38 which peeked my interest as I just like long rifles. Hence I aquired the Dana Jones book and learned what my friend and I had and did not know. I only hope that the buyer is aware and does not butcher it. It was unaltered and in fine condition when I had it but had been neglected in the last years of my friends life. I believe it sold at auction for around $400. According to my records all serial numbers matched S375 1901 OG inspectors initials etc. I still have the sling that was on the carbine when I got it. It is a web sling marked "NoBuckle" on the clips with a US pat. date of 7-21-14. Live and learn. Just thought I'd let you all know that at least one more is out there. Charlie

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,831 Posts
Welcome to the forum . You had a RARE carbine ! Do you remember if it had it's original straight bolt & bottom mounted sling swivels ? Or did it have a bent bolt & leather buckle & slot on the buttstock ? Did it have a bayonet lug , not original ? The sling is not Swedish .

I keep track of these school carbines whenever they turn up . Only 18 so far of at least 1161 made . It's sister , S.374 has showed up . Thanks for the info .

All Swedish mausers with the 23.5 inch barrel were refered to as a M-38 by the Swedes . A great piece of craftsmanship that you will enjoy .

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Swede,

It would be interesting to see your list of school carbines. Maybe a sticky post on this forum?

I have receiver number S.989, but now it's on a "Trapper" model sporting rifle converted by the Carl Gustafs factory. It's similar to the CG Employees Rifle in "Crown Jewels" on pages 199-200. The bolt matches the receiver, but I suspect it's not the original straight bolt of the School Carbine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
School carbine

Swede, yep sling swivels under, straight bolt, no bayonet lug. Like I said, looked like it was unaltered. I kick myself good for not paying attention more but fully intend to better in the future and enjoy my M38 all the while. Glad I bought the Dana Jones book, interesting reading and it may keep me out of trouble in the future. If Dana is part of this forum I thank him for his efforts . If not, I still thank him! Charlie

·
9,831 Posts
Charlie : To bad you let go of an all original school carbine . Not many left like that . Others were arsenal modified later with bent bolts , bayonet lugs or side mounted slings .

NW Swede : Your S.989 is new to me . Both of the ones listed above are included in the following list :

S.1 = Original m/94 configuration , in museum collection in England .
S.2 = m/94-14
S.12
S.13 = Original m/94 configuration ( mismatched bolt assembly )
S.16 = m/94-14 , bent bolt , side mounted sling , 90 degree butt stock
S.37
S.45 = m/94-14
S.61 = mismatched
S.73
S.105 = m/94-14 with straight bolt
S.173 = CG63
S.174 = Converted to m/94-14 in Sweden , Bubba added side peep sight mounted on right rear of receiver , bayonut lug chopped with only nosecap remaining , bottom swivels added , slot & buckle cutout filled in , heavy sanding .
S.181
S.183 = straight bolt , sporter stock & Williams sight added
S.197 = Original m/94 configuration , all matching & original web sling .
S.214 = m/94-14 , straight bolt , bottom mounted swivels , all matching , bayonet lug butchered by Bubba & replaced with correct original .
S.247
S.260
S.320 = Original m/94 configuration
S.325
S.374 = Original m/94 configuration
S.375 = Original m/94 configuration
S.438 = Dated 1901 , has straight bolt , bottom mount swivels , 85 degree buttstock , but m/94-14 bayonet lug & original web sling .
S.459 = Marked " Interarms G33/50 , made into a hunting rifle .
S.509
S.517 = m/94 ( Italian auction Sept. 2013 )
S.523 = m/94-14
S.539
S.574 = Barrel & receiver only
S.601 = m/94/14 , unnumbered bayonet lug , straight bolt , rear swivel removed & replaced with slot & leather buckle , 85 degree butt stock , has barrel extension , no disc cutout
S.659 = Sporterized , scope mounted , bent & ground bolt handle , chopped stock
S.685 = m/94-14 , scope mounted on front & rear of receiver , badly butchered bolt handle to clear the scope , slick stock finish , 2 tapped holes at right rear of the receiver .
S.724 = m/94-14 , with bottom mount swivels , no slot in butt stock or leather buckle , forged bent bolt , mismatched bayonet lug and band , peep sight on right rear of receiver , barrel extension .
S.858 = m/94-14
S.862 = m/94-14 , ears & lug removed from bayonet lug assembly , pistol grip added , deep notch cut in stock & bolt bent down flush , drilled & tapped for scope bases , charging hump removed , German coin in disc cutout , not all matching .
S.895 = Original m/94 configuration
S.911 = CG63
S.958 = G33/50 , Sporterized
S.989 = CG Trapper Sporting Rifle
S.1015 = Sporterized , marked " InterarmsCo G33/50 " , mismatched bent bolt
S.1031 = Sporterized
S.1040 = Sporterized
S.1067 = Original m/94 configuration
S.1070 = Original m/94 configuration ( mismstched handguard & barrel extension )
S.1075
S.1088 = m/94-14
S.1139 = m/94-14
S.1159 = m/94 , dated 1901 , forged down replacement bolt , bottom mount swivels , no barrel extension
S.1161
S.1167 = dated 1903 , H.R. inspector , sporterized .
S.1178 = dated 1903 , m/94-14
S.1212 = dated 1905 , 7x57 caliber

I will add to this list as new school carbines become known

·
9,831 Posts
Update from one of out Gunboard members .

A School Carbine has been reported with a 1903 dated receiver , serial # S.1178 . ( M-94/14 configuration )

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Update from one of out Gunboard members .

A School Carbine has been reported with a 1903 dated receiver , serial # S.1178 . ( M-94/14 configuration )
Swede, of those 18 you recorded, how many are still in original m/94 military configuration?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
S.374

Swede,

Not sure how S.374 got on your list, but I missed out buying it on an auction several years ago. If I remember it went for a little over $800. Still kicking myself over that one. Looks like it was in original configuration. I just hope it went to a good home. :cry:

Attachments

·
9,831 Posts
NW Swede : I collect serial numbers from where ever I can find them . Auctions , member info , gun shows , etc. However , I failed to record if they were in original configuration .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have S.1167 that is dated 1903. Tried to get a picture of both the serial number and date at the same time but that is not easy.
It has been nicely made into a sporter. Original stock with the cut outs filled with an inlay and the rear sight made into a flip sight, professional job.
All the numbers of the existing parts match.
Revolver Shotgun
Shotgun Revolver

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.