Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired this gun and I noticed that the ammo that it uses isn't in production anymore. Do any of you know if there is any private seller that makes rounds for this gun? I believe the sizes are 7.5x53.5mm or GP90 bullets.
Also, I noticed that some of these guns have been "sporterized" or something like that. How do you tell if yours has underwent this change?
Thanks in advance

·
Silver Bullet member
5,574 Posts
Sir - you have to make the ammunition for this rifle - not too difficult if you are an experienced and practiced reloader. There is no commercially available since the late1930's, I bleeve.
If you log on to www.swissrifles.com you will find a wealth of loading data on this arm.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE TEMPTED TRY AND SHOOT MODERN GP11 AMMUNITION IN THIS ARM!!!!

As for so-called 'sporterising', well, I've never seen these older S-Rs sporterised, a term that usually means cutting down the stock and or barrel to make them handier. The more common 1911 rifle or carbine do get found in this state, but then they can shoot the GP11 round which was designed to be shot in them in the fust place.

tac
Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
Welcome to Gunboards, Standard!

tac is right about reloading, it's the only way to go with this cartridge. Not hard to do, if you reload already.

Do put up a few pics when you get it, we like to see them, and will be able to tell if it's been 'sporterized'.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
The few " sporterized versions of these I have seen were all done the same way and I think the work was done by the Old Golden State Arms. In any case the rear sight will have been ground down, flattening out the curve of the sight rails and obliterating some of the range marks and numbers. The handguard was disposed of and the fore end of the stock was shortened ahead of the lower barrel band. This rifle is easily distinguished by the large magazine ( it holds 12 rounds ) ahead of the trigger guard The chamber of this rifle is larger in the case mouth area and is also shorter-if GP11 ammo is fired in this rifle the GP11 case mouth can't open up properly which causes a pressure spike. Handloading can and has been done successfully for this rifle but you have to exercise caution in choice of bullet weight, case length trimming and powder type/weight. Others here have much more experience than I in loading for this rifle but I can tell you that it is a very nice rifle in its own right but it does have structural limitations that have to be adhered to. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
years ago i bought one of

the '89's and stupidly fired

a lot of the modern commercial

in it. didnt know better.

the dealer even sold me some

rounds with the rifle .

thankfully nothing happened

FIVESHOT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts