Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe more than just a scabbard question

I have a very nice Jinsen bayonet, although:(, no Jinsen rifle yet. It is the late straight pommel type. The blade is unsharpened with no nicks.

First question is, what's the best way to remove a little rust on the blade without removing the finish (I know this question has been asked a million times, sorry) ? Hoppe's?

Scabbard question. What type of scabbard could have been used with this Jinsen? Was wood ever used on late Jinsen's? Thanks

And if anyone wants to donate a Jinsen to make my bayonet complete, feel free!!;)

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Wood scabbards were used on a lot of the late Jinsen bayonets. Does yours look like the one in the attached picture? It was probably issued with a wooden scabbard like the one in the picture, or with one with a pointed metal end instead of hte blunt.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's the one. I have a couple of wooden scabbard'd bayonets, with the pointed ends, but how hard is it to find the blunt ended ones?

·
Registered
851 Posts
First question is, what's the best way to remove a little rust on the blade without removing the finish (I know this question has been asked a million times, sorry) ? Hoppe's?
I always start with Kroil on cotton swabs. Really depends on what a "little" is. You can always go the light oil route (and I do use Hoppes oil for that, but plenty of others work too....) with 0000 steel wool (brass wool is preferable). I think one other member made recent mention of synthetic steel wool, but I haven't tried this. ALWAYS go slow and gentle and watch closely for any change to the finish.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Yes, that's the one. I have a couple of wooden scabbard'd bayonets, with the pointed ends, but how hard is it to find the blunt ended ones?
These Jinsen wooden scabbards are relatively common wooden scabbards, but finding any loose scabbards can be quite a task. Chances of finding the loose scabbard you are looking for are slim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts