Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just found an interesting reference to nefarious use of cut down rifles in C19 Chile. Apparently it was common practise for "bandits" to remove most of the butt stock and barrel of a long rifle to make what was locally called a "choco". These would be secured to the wrist by a piece of rope and hidden under a poncho. The article shows examples of a rolling block and this Mannlicher. I can't tell if it's an M.86 or an M.88. Perhaps one of you can. Either way I bet firing it would be quite the experience!
In: Rodríguez, T. (2018). Uso cotidiano de armas y cultura material del delito: un acercamiento desde el acervo del Museo de Arte y Artesanía de Linares, 1874-1906. Colecciones Digitales, Subdirección de Investigación, Servicio Nacional del Patrimonio Cultural.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,187 Posts
I think that's an '86. There is a lot of material behind the rear action screw on the tab. Interesting. Must be "fun" to reload if there is any restrictions in the action!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,949 Posts
M.88 - note the shallower magazine compared to the one in M.86.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Any ideas what the loss in projectile velocity would be, this given that I suspect only a fraction of the gas expansion/powder burned would be seen before the projectile left the.... ahem barrel.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,187 Posts
Any ideas what the loss in projectile velocity would be, this given that I suspect only a fraction of the gas expansion/powder burned would be seen before the projectile left the.... ahem barrel.
IMHO....good as a gut-gun only, unless they had special cartridges or were reamed out for a shot load.

Reactions: Steve251

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
a friend found a old winchester 94 in 30-30 in a barn they were taring down, that had the butt stock cut down to the rear end of the lever with no magizine tube and the barrel cut down to about 8" with no forend wood and was only a single shot. he said he fired it and it wasn,t much fun. he turned it over to the state police and he thought they destoryed it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
many years ago I saw a photo of Krag cut down into a pistol, barrel was probably less 10 inches long. I believe it was in an evidence room somewhere in Texas, and had been there since the early 1950s.I wonder if its still there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMHO....good as a gut-gun only, unless they had special cartridges or were reamed out for a shot load.

The article doesn't give any further details but yeah, I was wondering if it was somehow converted for a pistol or other cartridge. The Rolling Block illustrated in the article (used by the "famous bandit" Nonato Orellana) has some barrel left intact. You've got to wonder if this one was meant to intimidate only.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NZ used to have a lot of Kea Guns, a single barrel .410 shotgun/pistol meant for killing our Keas - a lovely big parrot. Sheep farmers said they used to kill sheep by perching on their backs and eating down to their kidney fat. Now they are a much appreciated emblem of the South Island and they eat cars instead: at least windscreen wipers, rubber seals and canvas hoods.
The guns are now classified as pistols. Keas are shown in action during this 10 min video, from about 2 minutes in. Click Here

Screen Shot 06-10-21 at 11.05 AM.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently it was common practise for "bandits" to remove most of the butt stock and barrel of a long rifle to make what was locally called a "choco". These would be secured to the wrist by a piece of rope and hidden under a poncho.
Looks like the origin of the Flash Bang

1 - 19 of 19 Posts