Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw two interesting Mausers today that I thought really hard about buying. Unfortunatly did not have the cash on me but it sounds like I will have a shot at them at a later date. I have never been much into Mausers so I was not certain what to make of them anyway, I just know I liked them and they seemed like a couple I had never seen before.

One was from Peru and the other Paraguay. Odd ducks for certain. Price was $400 each, is that fair for these? I just don't know enough about them. Both seemed to be in good shape and matched.

G

·
0 Posts
Carbines or long rifles? I picked up a 1909 peru mauser a month ago for 125.00 but way down on the cheap end. I couldn't find a reference price on any of the usual auction sites.

Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Well, I have never seen (nor can clearly remember hearing about) a Paraguayan, but any South American Contract rifle that's in decent shape and has the crest is usually worth chasing to a surprisingly high price.

I would dare venture to say the Paraguayan might be worth going back for...

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
If original and in NRA Good condition and matching, any Peruvian Mauser is worth $400, and some as much as the $1500 range. An Oberndorf-made M.1907 Paraguayan is much rarer (carbine or rifle) and is worth in the $800-$2000 range, and about a third to half that if they are Oviedo-made.
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Guess I should have grabbed them. Well, will have to see what I can do.

Thanks for the info.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
The key word here is "original". If there are renumbered parts or a mixtures of blued (replacement) and non-blued parts, value drops terribly. Stock refinishes are bad for value as well...although in a rare rifle, most of us manage to overlook halfway decent stock tampering.

If you can find them again, see if the owner will allow you to take digital pictures. Then post them here for a quick evaluation.
Regards,
John

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Were these rifles at the New Albany, IN show? If so, that old fellow has packed them in and out of many area shows. They are mismatched, and not really worth the prices he's asking. I don't think he negotiates. either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts