Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nice find, according to Ratnik's site Izhevsk made just 2,483 PU snipers in 1947 so definitely a scarce rifle. Of course the same site says zero M91/30 infantry rifles were made in 1947 and yet some exist, including this one.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Automotive lighting Bicycle part

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That infantry rifle was almost certainly meant to be a PU and for some reason never got it's optics.
Per Ratnik's book the Soviet directive after 1944 was to produce only m44 carbines and PU snipers. Changes came slowly and the factories kept up their normal production for a little while, but I can't imagine Izhevsk still planning to build 91/30 rifles two years after the war ended

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That infantry rifle was almost certainly meant to be a PU and for some reason never got it's optics.
Per Ratnik's book the Soviet directive after 1944 was to produce only m44 carbines and PU snipers. Changes came slowly and the factories kept up their normal production for a little while, but I can't imagine Izhevsk still planning to build 91/30 rifles two years after the war ended
That's my take as well, I do however find it interesting that my rifle and all other 1947 Infantry 91/30's I've seen have the Ад prefix and not the known sniper prefix РГ that all PU and ex-PU snipers I've seen(including the OP's) have.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,127 Posts
According to production figures on M9130.info, an unspecified number of 91/30s were produced in 1945 as velocity test rifles and 1,250 PUs accepted from 1944 production during 1945, none shown in 1946, and 2,843 strictly PU models in 1947.

But official numbers don't always tell the whole story, and observation proves this is the case here. For one thing, the 1946 91/30s which aren't even shown in the official records are in my experience the most often encountered postwar 91/30s. I've seen several in person, and used to own one that I pulled out of a crate of refurbs at Bud's and bought for the princely sum of $120. ;)

BTW, I know of at least 3 1945 91/30s coming out of the refurb crates that KY Gun Company was selling a few years back. We didn't know about the CK marking (for velocity test rifles) back then, so I don't know whether they were so marked, but they probably were.

·
Registered
199 Posts
According to production figures on M9130.info, an unspecified number of 91/30s were produced in 1945 as velocity test rifles and 1,250 PUs accepted from 1944 production during 1945, none shown in 1946, and 2,843 strictly PU models in 1947.

But official numbers don't always tell the whole story, and observation proves this is the case here. For one thing, the 1946 91/30s which aren't even shown in the official records are in my experience the most often encountered postwar 91/30s. I've seen several in person, and used to own one that I pulled out of a crate of refurbs at Bud's and bought for the princely sum of $120. ;)

BTW, I know of at least 3 1945 91/30s coming out of the refurb crates that KY Gun Company was selling a few years back. We didn't know about the CK marking (for velocity test rifles) back then, so I don't know whether they were so marked, but they probably were.
I've only ever seen 1 1945, that was around 2011 when you could still find all kinds of really unique stuff. I've never seen a 1946, I didn't know they existed to be honest. A handful of 1947s and 1950s have come up.

·
Administrator
9,376 Posts
47 was a tough nut to fill, but I got the run, M44, 91/30, PU sniper & ex-sniper.

The only 1950's I have is a 52 accuracy test rifle which look almost identical to the single shot Mosins the Russians considered producing in late 41 to speed production on the Mosin.
Wood Office supplies Line Shotgun Writing implement

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've only ever seen 1 1945, that was around 2011 when you could still find all kinds of really unique stuff. I've never seen a 1946, I didn't know they existed to be honest. A handful of 1947s and 1950s have come up.
In addition to the 45's, 46's and 47's I've seen pictures of 1948 and 1949 dated M91/30's. A 48 sold on Armslist a few years ago, I missed it by about 10 minutes. A 49 was posted on Arfcom in 2014 and another was posted here on Gunboards in 2008 although the pictures didn't survive the site makeover unfortunately.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,127 Posts
In all honesty, the mere fact that a 91/30 is postwar production doesn't get me that worked up. Now, if I found one that was non-refurb, that would be a different story, but I've yet to see a non-refurb postwar 91/30.

In fact, most of them that I've seen in person are not only refurbed, but with well-used bores, surprisingly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a sniper at one point, was de-snipered during refurbishment.
BTW, I know of at least 3 1945 91/30s coming out of the refurb crates that KY Gun Company was selling.
This one also came out of Kentucky according to the owner. (I think or Kansas)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had a ex pu 47 that I sold to someone on the board a year or so ago for what I had in it. I found a 47 refurbed sniper not re-sniper on a website in NC and he wanted 799 during Covid… 2021 He said the rifle was in rough shape and the stock needed to be sanded and re shellacked. I told him I would take it if I didn’t have to pay shipping. Win-win.. damn thing was perfect arsenal refurb. Only thing make it better would be factory original.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,740 Posts
Has anyone kept track of how many ‘47 dated PU snipers are circulating in the US? Complete and original (albeit rearsenaled) examples, not a ‘47 dated ex-sniper that someone has “re-snipered.”

I have one, all matching (rifle, PU scope, and mount) in typical re-arsenaled new and unissued condition.

I may have posed this question in a similar ‘47 ex-sniper thread but I don’t recall any numbers being posited.

Thoughts and comments?

·
Copper Bullet member
143 Posts
In addition to the 45's, 46's and 47's I've seen pictures of 1948 and 1949 dated M91/30's. A 48 sold on Armslist a few years ago, I missed it by about 10 minutes. A 49 was posted on Arfcom in 2014 and another was posted here on Gunboards in 2008 although the pictures didn't survive the site makeover unfortunately.
I've been looking, but have never seen a 1948 or 1949 dated 91/30 yet. I do have a '45, a couple 46's, a '47 and a 1950 though.

Attachments

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,647 Posts
Yes these are rare, as are the big logo rifles from the early 50s.
Yup. Got one of those "big logo" dated 1950

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,647 Posts
1950 was the only other year right? And it was just the barrel itself made in '50 if I remember right, on older production receivers.
My 1950 dated Izhevsk 91-30, is built on a 1948 dated M44 receiver. It's like new in all respects

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts