Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it wasn't the movies but on tv. Wanted to keep using my "saw it in the movies" theme. :D

Was watching a show on NatGeo about the famous North Hollywood bank robbery/shootout today. One of the prop guns used in the re-enactment looked a bit strange to me. It had the bolt/ejector port on the left-hand(opposite) side. A feature I had never seen on an AK before.

re there lefty AKs out there? Is this just a movie prop(though it did appear to be actually shooting)? Or perhaps just a camera trick, like when you see one in the mirror?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Often, TV/movies/documentaries invert an image to make it more visually appealing if they don't like it the actual way. Much of the time, they don't take into consideration the technical aspect of "correctness." Sounds like a case of that.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
I think most of you underestimate the pain of the left handed person in this world and to the great lengths we go to to bring our weapons up to par with right handers. It's also the years of pain and suffering we go through that causes far too many left handed people to go off the deep end and do such things in the first place... :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think most of you underestimate the pain of the left handed person in this world and to the great lengths we go to to bring our weapons up to par with right handers. It's also the years of pain and suffering we go through that causes far too many left handed people to go off the deep end and do such things in the first place... :)
It did get me to thinking how the gun world all but shuns leftys. I can imagine shooting south-paw could be quite a chore.

So you guys think it's just inverted?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They got the country of origin wrong too. IIRC, the AKM rifles used by the North Hollywood bandits were made in Romania. In the NG re-enactment I think they used a Chinese variant.
I don't recall NG stating what nation of origin the guns came from, they just stated with plenty of fear mongering in the narrator's voice "AK-47s!" But I get your point.

I was surprised to learn those guys fired over 1100 rounds. Cripes they came prepared for war! Those guys MUST have known they weren't walking away from that bank. No amount of drugs can disguise that.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
You would have thought one of those officers would have gotten a head shot before they did!

Just curious, but how many head shots with a 9mm have you made, under stress, after sprinting over 100 yards, and being shot at by guys with body armor and full auto rifles?

Just curious, of course...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious, but how many head shots with a 9mm have you made, under stress, after sprinting over 100 yards, and being shot at by guys with body armor and full auto rifles?

Just curious, of course...
That's the trouble they faced, as I understood it. Getting a clean shot(when they aren't firing at YOU) at a distance that was sometimes, many hundreds of feet with a 9mm handgun. That's a tall order. But I'm terrible with handguns, I would think that cops are trained better than me.

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
arent police usually trained for body shots on most cases?

speaking of the pain of lefties, all it took for the guitar world to make lefty models was jimi hendrix. ( <-- that was supposed to be sarcastic) Had he not been so superb at the guitar, there would probably still only be right hand models.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
That's the trouble they faced, as I understood it. Getting a clean shot(when they aren't firing at YOU) at a distance that was sometimes, many hundreds of feet with a 9mm handgun. That's a tall order. But I'm terrible with handguns, I would think that cops are trained better than me.
ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

I have friends in LE and security and they have told me that the only reason they can shoot straight is because they practice in their own time and with their own ammo. Their respective employers/police departments train them very rarely on cost grounds. The Barney Fife system of firearms training is still alive and well all over the US.

To get back on topic, there are many examples of reversing pictures and even films for the sake of art. If you ever watch the military channel there is a piece of film on the AK that clearly shows the same gun, but the images are mirrored in the next segment. It looks like an original Soviet piece of film, too.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
LEO's are trained to shoot center mass. But, they realized early on that these guys were wearing body armour. What I meant when I said about a head shot is this, With all the rounds fired at these two suspects, I am amazed that someone did not get a head shot even if it was by accident.

And yes most LEO's who are good shots practice with there own ammo. I myself put over 10,000 rounds of .40 down range before I joined the Sheriff's office when I was 39 years old. I shot perfect post scores and consider myself a good shot. But, there are many LEO's that qualify with there weapon and never shoot another round until there next qualification.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

I have friends in LE and security and they have told me that the only reason they can shoot straight is because they practice in their own time and with their own ammo. Their respective employers/police departments train them very rarely on cost grounds. The Barney Fife system of firearms training is still alive and well all over the US.

To get back on topic, there are many examples of reversing pictures and even films for the sake of art. If you ever watch the military channel there is a piece of film on the AK that clearly shows the same gun, but the images are mirrored in the next segment. It looks like an original Soviet piece of film, too.
It wouldn't be that funny if you had ever saw me shoot my .357. I need alot more handgun practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.