Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the local military show this weekend, a guy had just bought a K98. I looked at him and gave my very limited and poor opinion.

It was a bcd "4", I believe. Bolt handle, shroud, safety, floorplate and triggerguard match, and looked legit. Bands either un-numbered or scrubbed. Stock was nice K98 laminate with cupped buttplate. All markings intact. Couldn't check the stock for serials as we were standing in the aisle.

What's interesting is that the stock was marked TRZ.1 on one side of the butt, and serialized in typical Yugo fashion on the other side to match the receiver.

My humble opinion: A genuine, matching K98 that was either left in Yugoslavia or given to them as military aid by the Soviets. Yugo's eventually serialized the butt. Stock probably wasn't original to the rifle, but could have been.

Either way, it was a beauty of a rifle. He gave $575 for it. Anyway, I thought I'd ask about it here.

·
Banned
7,243 Posts
The Yugo's renumbered the bolts along the length of the handle, not on the bolt flat where the original numbers were located, so the value would hinge on the location of the serial numbers.
If the bolt belonged with the receiver and had not been altered by the Yugos then it was probably a sporter "restoration".
If it was all matched with a Yugo stock, he paid around what it was worth, maybe a little high.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was numbered in the proper place for a K98. Font and overall appearance looked right on the bolt, shroud and safety.

I was leaning on that price being a bit on the high side. But, the Yugo serialized-to-match stock and TRZ.1 mark are a nice feature and add to its known history, so I'm guessing it's about a $500 piece.

It was interesting to see, certainly. I told the guy to post some pictures of it on this forum, so maybe he'll do so. I had told him that I have a Yugo modified K98 with some traces of German marks and Mod 98 on the rail, but they had scrubbed the ring and put their crest on it. He was glad to have my input, and I was happy to make an educated guess.

Still, it was a neat one to look at. I wonder if the stock/HG match...

·
Banned
7,243 Posts
That would be a new one on me, a matched stock and then RE-matched on the outside by the Yugos!
I had a Yugo'ed byf 43 that had been about half scrubbed (the byf 43 could still be read) and then NOT restamped with the Yugo logo.
That was one sweet shooter, I should have hung on to it....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a '41 bnz that has the stock serial ala German (bottom near pistol grip, inside channel) and has the 1.TRZ only. No extra serial on the stock vertical like other Yugos.

Stock color has a red tint to it. Metal all matches and I've always assumed the stock was not original even though it is serialed ala German. Gun show pick up also. At the time I felt I paid too much but at the time I didn't know any better and thought it was matching (which is possibly why it was cheap :) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts