Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Some of the early Austrian conversions had sight protectors added. Both photos are from Manowars' Hungarian Weapons Pages. The first photo (all steel protectors) are two variants of an M31, the brass front sight protector is on one of my Austrian converted M95 rifles.

The altered sling swivels are another matter, but I've not seen anything like what you've described. makes me lean torward an M31...
What kind of sight protectors, would you call these?? It comes off an Infantry rifle, with no crest on the receiver, but does bear the side rail markings, Budapest 1914. The sight protectors are, like a form of spring steel, which is removable. More detailed photo's of this rifle may be viewed at:

http://tinyurl.com/2wwx3s

I'm curious, as the rifle makes me wonder. This is a rifle I picked up several years ago from Century Arms liquidation of the old Springfield Sporter, Inc.

Chuck

· Registered
101 Posts
Wow. Interesting rifle. Definitely uncommon in that configuration with the sight protector. The Budapest 1914 receiver on an Austrian rework is really interesting for me. Likely part of the Bulgarian contract that was never delivered by pressed into Austrian service during and after the war. It has a lot of history.
Interesting! I had wondered to myself about the possibility that it might have been some how associated with the Czech's, in that it has the Circle T proof mark on the side of the receiver. I've seen that proof mark on several Czech weapons, in particular on my Czech M91/38 Mosin-Nagant and had wondered about it. I guess or now know that I was wrong.

Chuck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.