Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I would have been willing to part with the cash to buy it. But it really was the first of its kind that I have seen. What really made it unique to me, was that it had a protected front sight. It had sling swivels on the bottom and the side swivel was missing on the front band, and the side swivel on the stock was filled in with a wood repair. I wish I would have looked clearer at the bottom swivel to see if it rotated or not. I can't recall.

The sling was really different. It was a wide sling that was sewn to the sling swivels and unable to be taken off. The chamber had been opened up for the 8x56 round.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Was there an H stamped on the barrel or an S? If an H, it was a Hungarian 31M. If an S, it was likely an Austrian conversion. Both are uncommon.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It wasn't an H. I expected it to have the H, but it was an S.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,747 Posts
Could also have been an Austrian conversion...

Some of the early Austrian conversions had sight protectors added. Both photos are from Manowars' Hungarian Weapons Pages. The first photo (all steel protectors) are two variants of an M31, the brass front sight protector is on one of my Austrian converted M95 rifles.

The altered sling swivels are another matter, but I've not seen anything like what you've described. makes me lean torward an M31...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some of the early Austrian conversions had sight protectors added. Both photos are from Manowars' Hungarian Weapons Pages. The first photo (all steel protectors) are two variants of an M31, the brass front sight protector is on one of my Austrian converted M95 rifles.

The altered sling swivels are another matter, but I've not seen anything like what you've described. makes me lean torward an M31...
What kind of sight protectors, would you call these?? It comes off an Infantry rifle, with no crest on the receiver, but does bear the side rail markings, Budapest 1914. The sight protectors are, like a form of spring steel, which is removable. More detailed photo's of this rifle may be viewed at:

http://tinyurl.com/2wwx3s

I'm curious, as the rifle makes me wonder. This is a rifle I picked up several years ago from Century Arms liquidation of the old Springfield Sporter, Inc.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Cetracer, you have an Austrian M95/30 type that has a new 1938 Austrian barrell and escaped being cut down into a carbine. As such, that's a pretty scarce combination, not to mention the front sight cover.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Wow. Interesting rifle. Definitely uncommon in that configuration with the sight protector. The Budapest 1914 receiver on an Austrian rework is really interesting for me. Likely part of the Bulgarian contract that was never delivered by pressed into Austrian service during and after the war. It has a lot of history.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I wish I would have been willing to part with the cash to buy it. But it really was the first of its kind that I have seen. What really made it unique to me, was that it had a protected front sight. It had sling swivels on the bottom and the side swivel was missing on the front band, and the side swivel on the stock was filled in with a wood repair. I wish I would have looked clearer at the bottom swivel to see if it rotated or not. I can't recall.

The sling was really different. It was a wide sling that was sewn to the sling swivels and unable to be taken off. The chamber had been opened up for the 8x56 round.
This rifle is part of a consignment collection that Ohio Ordnance works is selling. The sight protector looks like the brass type that the picture was posted of but I don't think it was brass. The chamber is S marked and I believe the receiver ring is Steyr M95 marked. It was a pretty good looking rifle and not too badly priced. I thought about picking it up too but already bought a Vz24 with a WWII ERMA .22 98 conversion in it and a MkII Ross Rifle from that collection. The Steyr got packed up and sent home as it didn't sell so interested parties can contact the guys at Ohio Ordnance works.
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/

Frank

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow. Interesting rifle. Definitely uncommon in that configuration with the sight protector. The Budapest 1914 receiver on an Austrian rework is really interesting for me. Likely part of the Bulgarian contract that was never delivered by pressed into Austrian service during and after the war. It has a lot of history.
Interesting! I had wondered to myself about the possibility that it might have been some how associated with the Czech's, in that it has the Circle T proof mark on the side of the receiver. I've seen that proof mark on several Czech weapons, in particular on my Czech M91/38 Mosin-Nagant and had wondered about it. I guess or now know that I was wrong.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I looked at the M95 at the NGD show in Louisville this weekend. The sight guard is brass on the gun, the chamber is S marked and the receiver is marked steyr M95. The chamber also has the W20 rework stamp.
Thats it ....
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts