Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally finished my fall project tonight when I picked up the RC barreled action of a German Depot K98k build.

The rifle was fated to become a .308 sporter, but instead is back in military trim as it would have appeared in 1942.

Germany thought they had the war won in 1941, and had begun scaling back production of the K98. This resulted in an arms shortage in 1942. Several temporary 'Depots' were set up to assemble K98s with parts supplied by the major manufacturers in order to speed up the delivery process.

XII stands for the Depot at Mainz-Kastel. Mainz-Kastel is a district of the city Wiesbaden, which is the capital of the German state Hesse in western Germany on the right side of the River Rhine. This barreled action has serial number 1497 of a highest reported total of 6577 rifles assembled. The donor receiver was from Gustloffwerke (bcd) and has a barrel from 1939. I used an ex-Yugo, ex-German stock kit from SOG, and an armorers e/18 handguard that took me several days of stain experimentation to get a decent match. I also supplied the bands, one German and one Yugo, and capture screws. The rear trigger guard screw was bent, so I replaced that one from my parts bin, as well as adding an original cleaning rod and sling.

The project was about 5 months as the barreled action was in Florida, and I had to wait for the owner's trip back there to send the action to MA. I had time to do a careful job on the stock, and the parts assemble and disassemble with finger pressure. The stock wears about 15 coats of hand rubbed, pure Tung oil. I shimmed the stock a little to get the barrel to float, and the action screws tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Range report from 1/31: 43 degrees, mostly cloudy, windy, and scattered sprinkles. 100 yards benched with spotting scope, 45 rounds of surprisingly good quality '54 Yugo. Neck, eyes, and shoulder held up well.

Rifle shot VERY high and a little left. I wound up aiming more than a foot below the target. Once I drifted the sight and got on target, I put the last 15 on the right target. I didn't get the qualifying 5/5 in the black but I did shoot a much better group.

I just got a tall sight from Brownell's in the mail yesterday. Took some filing to get it to fit in the dovetail. Will try again.

Barrel code: 39RU140, 3x e/13 (Ruhrstahl, Bielefeld)

T

Attachments

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
its got the 'cool' factor. yea them sights. ive well adapted to the two stage triggers. but i never got the off aim low thingy. ive had some spanish? or south american sights that were taller, but so big they blanked out the whole bull at 100. i ended up trying out swede tall target post sights. great for highth, but WAY to thick. so i filed one thin. i think im onto something. swedes also require minor filing to fit the dovetail. still in work. not sure where to get em with samco gone. what i want is not to have to jack up the rear sight past the 400 meter setting. for me past that the groups widen a bit. (tall front sight, rear at 500 for 100) im loving the sight picture tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The take down disk was in the white, but covered with lacquer. The stripper got most, and then I used a light Exacto-knife for remaining soft bits, and a tooth pick at the wood line.

T

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put in a new front sight and tried again today. I built a great shooter. 35 rounds or so on the first SR-1. Rounds began to climb at the end with a hot barrel. Then 6 on the second SR-1 target after letting the barrel cool and a quick CLP wipe. Moved to 200 with my last 9 rounds; 5/5 on an 18" gong, 1/1 on an 8" gong, and 0/3 on a 6" gong. Ammo was '53 Yugo, 100 yards/benched, 80F, clear sky, light breeze.

t

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.