Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,305 Posts
It depends. If it's a Savage or Long Branch No4 Mk1, then yes it's worth more to the collector (all other things being equal, like condition, etc.), since most of those were No4 Mk1*. If a BSA, Fazakerley or Maltby, then definitely not.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
If a BSA, Fazakerley or Maltby, then definitely not.
Not sure why you'd say that. All things being equal, I for one would give more for a Mk1 of any species...and a good '41 ROFM marked Maltby with all the early features will fetch a pretty penny next to about any standard issue No.4.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,305 Posts
Not sure why you'd say that. All things being equal, I for one would give more for a Mk1 of any species...and a good '41 ROFM marked Maltby with all the early features will fetch a pretty penny next to about any standard issue No.4.

Perhaps "definitely" was too strong a word. My impression is that No4 Mk1 rifles are far more numerous for the British than the North American manufacturers but I'm always open to corrections.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
British Mk1s do outnumber North American Mk1s...but Mk1*s made by either North American producer far outnumber any of the British manufacturers' output. As you say...my quibble would be with the term 'definitely'.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Savage produced around 100,000-120,000 Mk1 (absolute numbers not known as oddities keep appearing), whilst they produced almost 1,000,000 Mk1*
Given like for like condition a Savage Mk1 SHOULD be worth more than a Mk1*

It could be worth far less than a British produced Mk1 - depending on year, factory, specification and conditionIt will have a higher value to an American than it will to a European, Aussie or Kiwi (buy 'home-grown' syndrome)

The value of anything is what a buyer will pay - not what a seller asks for.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
Given the OP's name I will make the assumption he is in the USofA.
Of rifles of comparable condition, I will make the statement that on Gunbroker, his rifle is worth more than a similar Savage Mk1*, in the USofA.
By at least 50%. This is based on my observations and purchases over the last 15 years.

·
Gold Bullet member
435 Posts
Simple answer, yes, a Savage MkI is worth more than a Savage MkI*. I have a few Savage MkI and MkI*'s in my collection and I would be willing to pay more for a MkI that is in lesser condition than a MkI*. As stated above, there were only approx. 120,000 MkI's manufactured by Savage which is approx. 10% of the total production from 1941 - 1944.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
I guess about all I can add is that it also depends on FTR or not, and matching numbers. Non-matching or FTR may result in a valuation very much in line with more common/less desirable examples in original condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.