Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought Savage Mark 4 no * entered it into a local Armistice Day competition with out having fired the Gun, 303 Enfield only completion and came 11th out of 30 so with my limited experience happy with the Gun, during siting in had to drift the front sight to the left quite considerably, i have dismantled for cleaning and have found that the blueing on the barrel where the front and mid point barrel band sit all the blueing has been rubbed of the barrel on the left top of the barrel what is this telling me, is there a connection with the site picture and a cure, Cheers Grant

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Probably. The barrel should completely free float in that area!
The bottom central 1/3 rd for the first inch or so at the breech end & the "pad" at the muzzle end should be the only contact points.
Assuming nothing other than wood contact is involved just remove enough wood internally so that a sheet of typing paper can pass without snagging there.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
The old standard was to get enough clearance that a dollar bill can pass between the stock and the barrel.

The dollar bill is slightly thicker and less likely to tear than typing paper if it hangs up in the barrel channel.

If you use a new bill, it should also be stiff enough that it should easily slide into the barrel channel.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If I understand what you are stating...that there has been contact of the stock and the barrel; that has resulted in the bluing of the barrel being worn by this contact...I think we can agree that a properly set-up rifle should have a "free floated" barrel that has NO contact with the wood.

I would wait on what others (who will know more about this than I do) have to say and go SLOW as often one can do more harm than good with a little bit of knowledge.

I had a Savage No.4 Mk.1* that was very accurate but not enough to win the competitions I entered...I always placed in the top 5 or 10 but never took the ribbon home. I always had fun.

There is some very good reading one can engage concerning accurizing any Lee Enfield and I urge you to have a go at looking it over...and good luck...

Accurizing the Lee Enfield - Lee Enfield ResourceLee Enfield Resource

OOPS...looks like some intended contact between the barrel and stock MAY be desirable but I'll let you figure that out.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Interesting!
I have a very different version of that manual!
How the heck do you imbedd a .PDF on these new files?
These are the earlier 1991 versions - maybe you have the 2002 version ?
There is a 'set' of 5 different publications all covering the use, maintenance, parts list, etc etc.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.