Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Their site says it has an aluminum receiver and it’ll still weigh about 10 lb with an optic. I’ll stick with what I’ve got. I do like the straight pull idea, though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't know what is wrong with Savage. That's a losing design and concept from the get-go. Too heavy, clunky, and expensive plus no real market. Just like that horrible B-Mag bolt rifle in .17 WMR. It had terrible reviews in gun magazines and they still made it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Savage making straight pull hunting rifles.
Does Savage actually say this? I see a gun for shooting long range steel plates and not for hunting. It may or may not appeal to the younger buyer who likes the Rambo-cool or appreciate the Savage reputation for accuracy. I would not take one as a gift, but; in fairness to Savage that heavy weight tacky-cool stuff does sell for a premium. OK, giving it a 2nd look, I see a hunter model. Agree that one, it is a non starter.

And agreed the B-Mag was a disappointment and killed a good idea in the big 17 mag rimfire. I dont care much, because I have no interest in any sub 22 cal. I would have gone for a 22 version of the new 17 round in a good rifle. Dead but; not yet in the ground.

Whats wrong with Savage? We will see. They are still independent, not part of a mega conglomerate. Right? They could re-introduce the old single shot in cf like 44mag, 357, etc. They could do a mini action like Howa or CZ and make a lower price domestic altrnative for a light woods gun in cals like 44mag, 223, 450bm, 350 legend. Figure the odds?

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Pretty fast turn bolt , might be the answer to owning a fast firing hunting rifle is a Biden Regime utopia of zero semi auto rifles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've kind of had a thing for straight pulls ever since I came across a K11 and had no idea of what it was. That rifle was responsible for helping me to discover the fascinating world of milsurps which quickly developed into a powerful addiction. As for the weight I like to soldier up when I go hunting I've more or less retired my little 94 win. for deer hunting and hunt almost exclusively with milsurps now. I will usually take out 2-3 different old war horses each year as I usually hunt from a stand at yardages up to no more than 110yrds so iron sights aren't a problem.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looks interesting to me but then I have a Browning T-bolt .22. Not in the market for a modern boltgun though. My tastes in boltguns are on the lines of Krags and ‘03 Springfields.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I heard about this a week or two ago, I contacted Savage for more info.

Considerably heavy compared to similar priced lightweight rifles from Kimber, Nosler, Tikka, etc.
I think the big game hunter is 8.9lbs. Like someone else posted that’s ten pounds with a scope.

I use a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 to hunt for deer here in NY. I’m tempted to get something lighter that’s why I was looking. The Savage look great, but I think too heavy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a 1996 mauser straightpull in 300 win mag its a great accurate gun, and was was cheaper at the time, has rotating locking lugs like a ar and weighs less. I just don`t trust the ball bearing deals as being all that safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts