Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun ejects just fine with only one one shell loaded. If it is loaded with three it will only partially kick the shell out. It will randomly feed correctly (5) out of 25 or so. Any ideas what the issue may be? The recoil was tried on both heavy and light. Light of course is better. It only has an issue when I load one in the chamber and two in the tube.

Granted this is a "new" barrel. Hand cycling of the bolt but cycling of the barrel/action it exhibits the same problem. The internals are all new new and this issue was not present in the old barrel.

Any ideas? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the A5 pattern.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
First off,,, 3 new springs. Recoil spring, action spring (bolt closure) and magazine spring.

Clean the inside of the magazine tube (and follower), DO NOT OIL THE TUBE INNER (or follower), all this does is catch dirt (thus make you clean and oil it over and over ad infinitum).

Now,, what exactly does "partially kick the shell out" mean?
TO ME, that describes a Stovepipe, which has an empty not completely ejected from the gun. This works with 1 shell but not with a magazine load makes no sense to me. The mag. ammo is not relevant to ejection of the fired hull.
IF you are speaking of the next round in the magazine, weak mag. spring, clean inside tube, oil with CLP, WIPE VERY VERY DRY (then forget it for a decade unless you dunk it in water)

When the A5 cycles (I have an A5 and a Rem. 11) the magazine feeds the next round as the mechanism is stroking backwards. The hull rim rides against the Locking Block Latch which sticks down below the bolt.
"Extraction" is actually while the bolt is held backwards and the barrel is driven fwd. by the recoil spring.
"Ejection" happens as the barrel nears full return fwd. and the ejector passes the side of the bolt.

When the barrel stops it trips the bolt release. When the bolt heads fwd. it trips the shell lifter upwards, bolt slams this shell into the chamber.

A weak action spring AND/OR a dirty/sticky shell lifter pivot and arm CAN hang up the bolt.

ALSO, the action spring must be replaced by removing the stock. The long screw under the wrist that holds the stock on is screwed into the spring tube. IF SCREWED IN TO FAR IT CAN HANG UP THINGS. Easy to screw up and screw in too far (been there, done that).

I have never seen a broken Locking Block Latch spring nor a broken spring on the shell lifter arm (back in the receiver on the R/H side of the shell lifter), but it IS possible...............

I just 2 months ago upgraded the old (1923) Rem. 11R with Browning's Speed Feed split shell lifter, 4 parts and an hour (max), much faster loading. No screwing with the bolt release button on the side.
Also, this replaced 4 parts, the shell lifter obviously (including it's spring) the Locking Block Latch, and it's spring. Occasionally some very minor fitting is required, other times it is drop-in.

I oil the outside of the magazine spring tube (this needs some oil), with CLP, I wipe it on with a damp patch, rub it in good, leaving droplets is OK. Then I take a DRY patch and wipe it off one swipe (I do not "polish it dry").
I have run them as much as 400 rounds without cycling issues related to lack of oil on that braking system after this.

Excessive oil and they slam too hard and they drool oil all over the inside of the fore-end.

Good springs (need replaced every 10-15 yrs of assembly even if not shot (at least the recoil and action springs), they DO take a set assembled and unfired, I see it every 10-15 yrs in both of mine) they are among the softest shooters and as reliable as gravity.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,574 Posts
A friend who has an A5 has used DriSlide on most of those sliding surfaces. Seems to work well and not attract dust, dirt or hold powder fouling.

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank so for all of the info. Yes it is a stovepipe. The spent case does not fully clear the action leaving the spent case sticking out perpendicular to the barrel as the next shell tries to load. Recoil spring is new from Numrich. Does anyone know the length specification for the springs so that I can measure mine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.