Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this Sauer and Sohn 38H this morning from a local gun shop. Late war with the zink trigger. Any additional information or opinions appreciated and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your Sauer 38H is on the edge of serial number range between 3rd variation (safety lever 322000-484000) and the 4th (without safety 484000-507000) it is military accepted e/37 , most late models had zinc triggers , very nice thanks for posting Kevin

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Mine is in the 407xxx range and police marked (C).

They are great little pistols and pioneered the features of the Sig Sauer guns to follow post war. Be advised that some parts are hard to acquire if you plan on shooting it much. Cocking lever springs were unobtainium until Jack First started making them. I'd put one away as insurance. If you don't want to risk breaking the original grips their is a eBay seller from the Czech Republic that sells excellent reproductions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This was one of my Grandfather's bring backs. My Dad told me he would play with it as a kid all the time and beat it up pretty good. He has recently passed it on to me and I couldn't be more happy to have it. Really cool pistols and a nice piece of family history;

·
Registered
480 Posts
Give it a good soaking in Kroil to remove the surface rust and preserve what finish is left.
So just soak for a while and no scrubbing/abrasives? Id just like to de-activate any active rust and cause as little harm as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This was one of my Grandfather's bring backs. My Dad told me he would play with it as a kid all the time and beat it up pretty good. He has recently passed it on to me and I couldn't be more happy to have it. Really cool pistols and a nice piece of family history; View attachment 3790759
Very cool, rare and desirable “double eagle e/37” variant too

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
So just soak for a while and no scrubbing/abrasives? Id just like to de-activate any active rust and cause as little harm as possible. Thanks.
Don't use an abrasive,

Let it soak and scrub it with a nylon gun cleaning "toothbrush" and patches. Let it soak and repeat. In my experience if the bluing is in decent shape you can use 0000 steel wool with oil and not harm the finish but go lightly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't use an abrasive,

Let it soak and scrub it with a nylon gun cleaning "toothbrush" and patches. Let it soak and repeat. In my experience if the bluing is in decent shape you can use 0000 steel wool with oil and not harm the finish but go lightly.
Thank you. I really want to preserve what's left if possible as this piece means a lot to me personally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.