Gunboards Forums banner

Saturday show find, my first Jinsen. Full mum

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Herk1994 
#1 · (Edited)
Found this on Saturday, at a local show. The seller was fairly priced even knowing what he had, a great example of a collector taking care of the next generation of younger collectors like me. It was the first show I’ve seen in a good while that had relatively fair prices (especially for an antique/collector’s show). All matching besides the safety and firing pin. I’m happy with it. Have yet to take it apart, the screws were unstaked and the stock has no legible markings although it is unsanded. I may have missed something. Looked correct in my amateur inspection. Mum intact but an “O” marking on the barrel that I’m unfamiliar with.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice example! Congrats!

Reactions: Herk1994
#14 ·
Thanks for the assessment guys, I do have a good question. Judging by the serial number what month/year of manufacture was this?

I need to get the book. It’s interesting because my friend has a nice Jinsen as well, but his bolt is a lot tougher to actuate than this. It’s a noticeable degradation in quality compared to this, yet relatively similar. Most notable is the bolt, but his band welds and especially the front sight are much rougher.

I know for example in Germany, Steyr 98k’s got really rough in the 1945 S to T block transition. Similar situation here I assume?

#17 ·
Very rare to find a mummed Jinsen Type 99!! That one is super nice! I lucked out a few years ago and got a mummed example with a bolt mis match. I only paid $150 so I was ok with that.

Attachments

#20 ·
Wow! Thats a pretty awesome example and a great price. Ive seen very few of this caliber and havent managed to find one for myself yet.

The jinsen proofs are simple characters and easily lost in the wood. All your stock proofs look present. The small upper proof is usually struck twice, often so deep theyre indecipherable. The lower proof is easily confused for a typical ding in the stock.

I highlighted your stock proofs, I see two other possibilities for you other upper proof... maybe all 3? I Also added an example from my collection for comparison.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

#23 · (Edited)
I hate to shamelessly revive an old thread (lol), but out of curiosity, what is this roughly worth, with the mismatch safety and firing pin? I realized now that I never asked anyone when the thread was started 6 months ago.

I’m not selling so it really doesn’t matter, but I’ve seen a crazy spectrum in prices on these and I’d like to know where this stacks up.

#24 ·
Apparently.....$400
You said the seller knew what it was. HAHA!
Well we all know you got a stellar deal on that. I'd throw out in this day, an estimate of +/-$800 wouldn't be out of line. If it was 100% matching, I'd call it a 1K Type 99.
The thing with scarce manufacturers and Arisaka, most the value is held by us who are stout Japanese collectors and want one of X example etc. To the average milsurp guy just looking for a late war Type 99, they would probably be fine with a $600 common series Nagoya or TK. Because they just want a complete nice mummed rifle.
If you need an insurance "replacement" value, when I do my end of year annual update, I put the price of what it would cost me right now to try to "replace" it if it was stolen/destroyed in a fire. So insuring it for 1K isn't crazy in my mind. IMHO

#25 ·
And we all sure know its not like even if you had all the $ in the world, you'd be able to go out and even FIND a mummed Jinsen T99 to buy for ANY price. I just heard that Imperial Japan isn't "contracting" these to be made anymore!

Reactions: Herk1994
#27 · (Edited)
I'd say $800 easily if you took enough pictures and had a flashy title on Gunbroker haha! (grey blanket background helps I've heard;)) Defiantly not an easy Type 99 to find, especially with the unique serialization style of the matching bolt handle and mum. I believe most people, even collectors wouldn't mind the mismatched safety and pin, because they can't been seen until you disassemble the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.