Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this on Saturday, at a local show. The seller was fairly priced even knowing what he had, a great example of a collector taking care of the next generation of younger collectors like me. It was the first show I’ve seen in a good while that had relatively fair prices (especially for an antique/collector’s show). All matching besides the safety and firing pin. I’m happy with it. Have yet to take it apart, the screws were unstaked and the stock has no legible markings although it is unsanded. I may have missed something. Looked correct in my amateur inspection. Mum intact but an “O” marking on the barrel that I’m unfamiliar with.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Very nice example! Congrats!

Reactions: Herk1994

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the assessment guys, I do have a good question. Judging by the serial number what month/year of manufacture was this?

I need to get the book. It’s interesting because my friend has a nice Jinsen as well, but his bolt is a lot tougher to actuate than this. It’s a noticeable degradation in quality compared to this, yet relatively similar. Most notable is the bolt, but his band welds and especially the front sight are much rougher.

I know for example in Germany, Steyr 98k’s got really rough in the 1945 S to T block transition. Similar situation here I assume?

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I carefully took it apart and put it at back together earlier, managed to grab some decent stock internal pics. Definitely Jinsen wood! As I stated before, I had trouble identifying markings externally, but I managed to find one, and the internal mark was much easier to find.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Very rare to find a mummed Jinsen Type 99!! That one is super nice! I lucked out a few years ago and got a mummed example with a bolt mis match. I only paid $150 so I was ok with that.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
Wow! Thats a pretty awesome example and a great price. Ive seen very few of this caliber and havent managed to find one for myself yet.

The jinsen proofs are simple characters and easily lost in the wood. All your stock proofs look present. The small upper proof is usually struck twice, often so deep theyre indecipherable. The lower proof is easily confused for a typical ding in the stock.

I highlighted your stock proofs, I see two other possibilities for you other upper proof... maybe all 3? I Also added an example from my collection for comparison.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.