Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
re:

I haven't seen the ad you're referring to. Is it for the 9mm largo caliber super models? If so, I reload mine using standard 9mm luger dies, 124 gr. or 115 gr. 9mm bullets. I order my largo brass from Midway. I can personally vouch that is a very effective round. My super modelo A is one of my carry weapons and it has more than done its job on 2 occasions with coyotes.

·
Silver Bullet member
260 Posts
I bought one of the Sarco ones about a year ago. The bore was pretty much gone. I sent it back for a refund.

That having been said, the whole process went smoothly. Given the $149 price, you should probably try one. If you get lucky like Mastiff, you'll have a great deal. If not, you've risked very little.

·
Read Only
4,629 Posts
Gentlemen,....

...in the salad days, I went overseas. I was a civilian, and did not have Uncle Sugar to provide for my needs in the Land of Bad Smells, so I wound up buying a pistol and submachine gun off the economy. They filled my needs for the fourteen months I was in-country. The pistol was a Star Modelo Super, and I had access to considerable quantities of .38 ACP ammo, mostly made in Argentina. That pistol did everything I needed it to do, from killing the occasional cobra to dispatching rats in my palatial palm-frond quarters.

Uncle wouldn't allow me to take either gun with me when I went home, so I sold them. Winter of 1970. I did find one of the Modelo Super guns in 9mm Largo for under $200 last winter. It shoots every bit as good with .38 ACP as my first one did.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,370 Posts
The Sarco lot are barrel-scrapings. If you buy one, better buy three. And don't do it unless you have some gunsmithing skill. That way you might possibly be able to assemble one completely functional and safe pistol.

M

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,876 Posts
Sarco Supers

I bought two Supers four years ago. Nice guns with Civil Guard markings. they did have or may still have "Gunsmith specials" three for about $285+-and they stated in the ad that these had hammer slipage problems,etc. I was pleased with my two and each had fired proof empty rounds with them. AGB-1 Although I didn't buy the "gunsmith specials",I wished I had got three for parts guns.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bought three "gunsmith specials" about three years ago. Got lucky and managed to get all three working perfectly. Main function problem was dirt. As I recall, I did have to do a little tweaking on two of the safeties, but it was a simple fix. Finish was mostly gone, but guns work well.

By the way, holsters made for the CZ-52 are a perfect fit for the Star Modelo Super. I have a leftover Falco double rig for a CZ I sold, and happened to try a Modelo Super--surprise:)! Even the mags fit properly in the mag pouches:D. CB

·
Silver Bullet member
4,675 Posts
Odd. When I try to go to the Sarco website, my browser (Firefox 3.0) freezes up! It did it four times in a row before I quit trying. WTF?

I was going to try to sign up for that pdf flyer like Fushigi Ojisan showed a link to.

Gaah! Sarco also freezes up Internet Explorer! Bah!

·
Silver Bullet member
4,675 Posts
Okay, I'll do that... what version is newer than Firefox 3.0.6???

(There isn't a newer version. And I'm running IE 8.0 (beta) too.)

Old browser ain't my problem.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
OK - I have explained this in other threads, I will repeat it again:

There is a gunsmith in Illinois that had bought a huge lot of "Seconds" from Interarms while they were still in business, and just warehoused it and sat on it. Over the last couple years, he has been slowly pulling them out and piece-mealing them together to make functioning pistols, and when he has a lot ready, he ships them off to SARCO to sell. When SARCO gets a lot in, they usually sell them out within a week, then they wait a couple months before another batch arrives. Based on reviews from the past year, this gunsmith must be nearing the bottom of the pile, because exterior finish is not as good, and the bores on most are very bad.

Your money - your choice. If you want one of these, I suggest putting SARCO's number on your speed dial, and start calling them every couple days.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
OK - I have explained this in other threads, I will repeat it again:

There is a gunsmith in Illinois that had bought a huge lot of "Seconds" from Interarms while they were still in business, and just warehoused it and sat on it. Over the last couple years, he has been slowly pulling them out and piece-mealing them together to make functioning pistols, and when he has a lot ready, he ships them off to SARCO to sell. When SARCO gets a lot in, they usually sell them out within a week, then they wait a couple months before another batch arrives. Based on reviews from the past year, this gunsmith must be nearing the bottom of the pile, because exterior finish is not as good, and the bores on most are very bad.

Your money - your choice. If you want one of these, I suggest putting SARCO's number on your speed dial, and start calling them every couple days.

Good Luck!
Thanks again for the info!
I called them today, they stated the gunsmith specials were probably a thing of the past. He also stated they were out of Star Supers, and to call back in 4-5 weeks, when they might be taking back-orders.
I got one of the last Star Super A's they sold before they got shut down by New Jersey. I am entirely pleased with it, it has become one of my two carry guns. I'm not that bothered by the finish, I got it to use, not to look at. I even sold my 1911, this one was so much better. It is very accurate, with a great trigger. I would have no problem getting another one or two from SARCO.
Regarding the shot out barrels you mention, I'm going to try my hand at making a few new ones. I've gotten several books on barrel making, and I have a lathe and a shaper. It will become my new project, since I am no longer working. I was thinking about making a 9x19 luger barrel for the Star when I got the books. I figure making a few more 9x23 barrels to have as spares wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

EDIT: I wouldn't have a problem spending more for a better condition STAR Super, if you happen to have one for sale.

·
Registered
982 Posts
barrels

Regarding the shot out barrels you mention, I'm going to try my hand at making a few new ones. I've gotten several books on barrel making, and I have a lathe and a shaper. It will become my new project, since I am no longer working. I was thinking about making a 9x19 luger barrel for the Star when I got the books. I figure making a few more 9x23 barrels to have as spares wouldn't be a bad thing to have.
That's a pretty ambitious undertaking!
Please keep us posted, or perhaps start a new thread in the gunsmithing section.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
That's a pretty ambitious undertaking!
Please keep us posted, or perhaps start a new thread in the gunsmithing section.
Like I said, I've got the machines, I've got the information is those books, and I've got the time(Unfortunately). I don't expect it to be easy, the books make it quite clear that this won't exactly be a walk in the park. The big deal will be setting up the hydraulic cooling/chip clearing system. I've got an old hydraulic pump lying around, so I think I can get that up and running without it costing too much. I've never checked out the gunsmithing section here, thanks for reminding me. If anybody has blueprints for the barrels, that would help. Otherwise, I'll just have to measure off of my existing barrel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.