Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearing a pawn shop on my commute home a few weeks ago, I started seeing images of a "C.A.I. St. Alb. Vt." import stamp, so I thought it prudent to stop by. My suspicions proved correct, pics in the next frame . . .

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They had what I at first thought was an M38 in the rack. Turned out to be this M91/59:

Some old light pitting on the shank, but the rifle is in pretty good overall condition:

The wartime 91/30 stock they recycled for this one had already been refurbed at least once, apparently:

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about the import stamp "premonition", and I was right. Also note the superb bullet test-this thing has a great bore:

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Nice, a desirable variant. Any stars stamped on it?
I don't believe I have ever seen a 91/59 with any stars on it, other than one that may be a Tula production if that's what you are referring to by inquiring if there are stars stamped on it. Othewise, the only other model that has stars on it (that is not a Tula arsenal produced rifle) are 91/38 carbines that have the Czech proofs on the top receiver flat, and a small star that kind of looks like a small Tula star marked on parts, marked on the barrel shank.

They had this one priced at $249, but they took $200 (and seemed surprised that I bought it even for that). I think that was a pretty good deal, though.
Fantastic price and a great deal. A great premonition to have. Never know what you will find, that's why I like to go in to the pawn shops or other LGS if I'm in a different area. Congrats!

·
Gold Bullet Member
506 Posts
I don't believe I have ever seen a 91/59 with any stars on it, other than one that may be a Tula production if that's what you are referring to by inquiring if there are stars stamped on it. Othewise, the only other model that has stars on it (that is not a Tula arsenal produced rifle) are 91/38 carbines that have the Czech proofs on the top receiver flat, and a small star that kind of looks like a small Tula star marked on parts, marked on the barrel shank.
Some sanitized 91/59s have a distinctive star in a circle inspection or proof mark on the barrel shank.

·
Gold Bullet Member
506 Posts
Well, I learned something there. It's actually on mine, but it's very poorly struck. Arrow points to it in this pic:

Sweet! Once you pointed it out here it jumps out at me in the original picture as well. Its an unknown mark with theories linking it to N. Korea.

I'm still looking for one of these. Seems like a real good deal at $200, too.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Great find, and a price not much more than when I found mine on sale at Dunhams, many moons ago.
Rust is likely from the US. All that I've seen have been about perfect. Although every part (of mine) has been well sanded. Inside and out.
My stock appears to be recycled from a very early M91. No original sling slots, and two previous numbers stamped on the stock.
I'll have to check for the star tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Phil, the stock looks to be a war time production stock. No rear sling slot escutcheon, and a tabbed reinforced metal liner for the front slot. And that is very interesting, that thing really hit the belt sander or something hard!

Mine is also in a war time stock. I dug it out, and did not see any other stars on it. Never heard of other star marks until it was brought up here. Interesting guys!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Phil, the stock looks to be a war time production stock. No rear sling slot escutcheon, and a tabbed reinforced metal liner for the front slot. And that is very interesting, that thing really hit the belt sander or something hard!
Not sure what you refer to, having been hit hard. Like I said above, every inch of every part has been (belt?) sanded smooth before re-bluing.

I also thought the stock was war-time production at first. But.....
There are two previous serial/rack numbers on the butt, in different fonts. Neither match this barrel. Must have been around the block a few times.
No relief cut for a carbine rear sight in the barrel channel, or a bayonet grove. (All?) 91/59s seem to have purpose-built stocks. Yours too.
No evidence of any type of previous sling slots (or rope holes), so in its first two lives as an M91, there must have been a magazine rear swivel and band mounted front sling attachment. Previous front sling slots, or wood plugs filling them, can be seen under carbine nose-caps of converted M91 stocks if they had "standard" sling slots. Check under your nose-cap.
War-time sling slots are the easiest to manufacture, and maybe by 1959 the equipment to press-in liners wasn't in Russia any longer. Sent to Romania or China or .....

I see no sign of a circle or star on the barrel shank. Not above the wood-line anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts