Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some folks might like to see some pictures of the 1960s POF .303 rounds that SAMCO is selling. I have read about the problems with this POF ammo from the 1960s, but decided to still give it a try. If they are duds or hang fires, the Mk 7 bullets still have some value, right? I also got 100 stripper clips as part of the deal (I actually bought the loose stuff, but it still came on the clips). If I pull the bullets, I am not sure what I will do with all that cordite...

I figure I can sell the stripper clips for $1.50-2.00 each.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Qwik hangfires

Have some cartridges in a different near extinct calibre that exhibit the same"quick hangfire" syndrome. Teaches one the fine art of follow through!!

Draybo

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,235 Posts
I believe you will have some difficulty reloading the Cordite as the Cordite is in long strands and placed into the case before the shoulder and neck of the case is formed. I did try this in the past with this same ammo and I was never able to get all the Cordite strands back into a military case. The stuff was just packed to tight in the original case. I also have to use a kinetic bullet puller to get the Cordite out of the old case. Really was not worth the trouble and the "reduced" cordite loads did not perform well.

It might be a bit fun to do it, but you COULD re-use the Cordite in the rounds you are reloading.

There's no real reason not to. There is nothing really wrong with Cordite as a propellant.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most of the POF .303 & .30-06 that is hermetically sealed in the cases are very good, the problems seem to stem from the loose type that SAMCO seems to find, because the lots Century imported in the cases were defiantly decent ammo, case and point being the Iranian loose 8mm & .30-06 SAMCO is currently selling, many failures.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Most of the POF .303 & .30-06 that is hermetically sealed in the cases are very good, the problems seem to stem from the loose type that SAMCO seems to find, because the lots Century imported in the cases were defiantly decent ammo, case and point being the Iranian loose 8mm & .30-06 SAMCO is currently selling, many failures.
Century did not import POF .303....SAMCO did, and the 16 sealed cases I got were ripe with hangfires!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Century has imported POF .303 previously as well as other importers, obviously this particular lot seems to have its issues that was imported from SAMCO, but in previous imports and lots, some of us has had better results. Surplus is interesting, it sometimes depends how the ammunition was stored and where it came from, Pakistan, Africa, Europe, etc.,
However, it is odd that SAMCO always seems to come up with this type of surplus ammo no matter where or what origin,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.