Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a little research on the internet, I decided to order 400 rounds of the loose pack, mixed head stamp 7mm Mauser ammunition from Samco. Shipping was relatively expensive at $42.20, so my card was charged a total of $121.80. The order shipped after about a week and it arrived at my door yesterday. The rounds were double-boxed and well packaged. None of the rounds exhibited any signs of serious corrosion or had loose projectiles. Here's the breakdown of what was in the box:

160 Winchester non-corrosive, boxer primed, '7mm WRA' head stamp, with moderate tarnish, nice condition
172 Dominican Republic cartridges dated 1957 with moderate tarnish, nice condition
28 Winchester cartridges with moderate dents
3 Dominican Republic cartridges with moderate dents and/or cracked necks
3 .30-06 rounds (2 Winchester, 1 'FA 41')
1 .308 Winchester cartridge
27 Assorted South American rounds from the 1950's and 60's with moderate tarnish
5 German 'DWM 37' marked cartridges
8 assorted WWII dates with a '*FR*' headstamp (anyone know who produced these?)

...for a total of 407 cartridges. I'm very pleased with what I received from Samco. My plan is to shoot the nice Winchester and DWM rounds, pull the projectiles on the rest and reload using the Winchester brass.

Randy

·
Gold Bullet Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the cartridges, including the WRA, have spitzer bullets so I am assuming the WRA is non-corrosive. However you are making a good point. I'll treat the whole lot as if it were corrosive. Better to be safe than sorry...

Randy

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
All of the cartridges, including the WRA, have spitzer bullets so I am assuming the WRA is non-corrosive. However you are making a good point. I'll treat the whole lot as if it were corrosive. Better to be safe than sorry...

Randy
Roger That..note Spitzer bullets (139gr) adopted by Spain in 1913. I do not know when WRA started contracts, but I would also clean as corrosive.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,521 Posts
The FR is from Brazil. I would be pretty sure that all the DWM and Dominican are also corrosive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
After doing a little research on the internet, I decided to order 400 rounds of the loose pack, mixed head stamp 7mm Mauser ammunition from Samco. Shipping was relatively expensive at $42.20, so my card was charged a total of $121.80. The order shipped after about a week and it arrived at my door yesterday. The rounds were double-boxed and well packaged. None of the rounds exhibited any signs of serious corrosion or had loose projectiles. Here's the breakdown of what was in the box:

160 Winchester non-corrosive, boxer primed, '7mm WRA' head stamp, with moderate tarnish, nice condition
172 Dominican Republic cartridges dated 1957 with moderate tarnish, nice condition
28 Winchester cartridges with moderate dents
3 Dominican Republic cartridges with moderate dents and/or cracked necks
3 .30-06 rounds (2 Winchester, 1 'FA 41')
1 .308 Winchester cartridge
27 Assorted South American rounds from the 1950's and 60's with moderate tarnish
5 German 'DWM 37' marked cartridges
8 assorted WWII dates with a '*FR*' headstamp (anyone know who produced these?)

...for a total of 407 cartridges. I'm very pleased with what I received from Samco. My plan is to shoot the nice Winchester and DWM rounds, pull the projectiles on the rest and reload using the Winchester brass.

Randy
Last summer I got 1000 rnds of 7mm from samco. It was all Dominican and in "acceptable" shape. Can't use it in my semi auto though, so I may be willing to sell what I have left which is probably 900+ rnds.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,375 Posts
I bought 800 rounds last year. Sounds like mine is mixed about the same as the OP's. Didn't bother counting it.

Figure it's ALL corrosive and will treat accordingly when I find time to shoot some of it.

Bought 500 rds of the Swede 7.62x51 they sold a few months back. Wish I'd bought a thousand. Got 509 usable rounds and one too badly bent to do anything except salvage. Ammo was a bit grungy but will run fine in my Stg-58 I think.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Several years ago, 2007, I bought some of the Samco Brazilian leftovers. They arrived loose packed and were a random mix of FR and R headstamps from 43, 44, and 45. All were slightly tarnished and there was about half a pound of dust packed in with them. Unusable as received, 1/3 duds, 1/3 long, long hangfires, 1/3 moderate hangfires. I have been pulling them for powder, which was good, and bullets which tumbled clean and weren't too bad for uniformity. Put into PPU brass with new primers they have been excellent hog medicine in my Chileno. But, I have been haunted by all that beautiful Berdan primed brass for years. Hydraulic depriming was a total bust as the primers are glued in. Finally broke down and cycled about 800 of the cases I could still find through a hopeless 1916 Oveido to make sure none of the primers would surprise me and pried the primers out with an RCBS decapper. Broke 2 pins doing it and lost a few that the cups ripped before dislodging but it really didn't take as long as I thought it would. Primed up a few with .217 Large Rifle Berdan Tula primers and put them back together with the original powder and bullets. Let's just say that SAAMI 7x57 loads are complete milque toast compared to these! Even the loads I made up with Boxer primers are no way in the league with these. Those two jets of primer flame shooting through the powder load really do make a difference in the burn rate. If you have some of the Brazilian fizzlers and haven't tried replacing the primers with new ones, you need to give it a try.

·
Administrator
9,605 Posts
Winchester Military Export ammo was ALL Corrosive, despite being Boxer Primed ( 1950s) Probably by the 1960s they Changed over to Non_Corrosive for alol their Military Contracts ... but all the others (Latin America and European) Makers of Mil.Ammo only changed over in the Late 60s, early 70s.

So consider all these Samco "Warehouse Sweepings" as Corrosive, and except for the WRA, BERDAN....but .217" reloadable ( also anneal the cases if they survive firing.).

Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Randy W, you must live farther from Miami than I do. A week or so ago I got 500rds of the Brazilian 7.62x51. It was 199 + 31 dollars shipping. All good ammo, some dark brass but nothing I would cull. I was happy with my order from samco also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts