Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
I got a 800 round case( 2 400 rnd cans) about 4 months ago. It was 90% 1942 headstamp with a mix of other 1940's dates. I shot less then 200 rounds and then sold the rest. I made sure the buyer knew there was going to be a lot of click boom. It was the worst batch of surplus 303 I have ever bought, I haven't tried POF nor do I plan to. It's probably not bad to plink with and it worked better after sitting in the sun and getting warm. I don't shoot as often as i would like to and this ammo wasn't any fun to shoot, too much click boom and accuracy was lacking as well. My $.02
Others have ordered 1,000 round cases and got 52 headstamp ammo which has gotten good reports. Don't know if it is luck of the draw or the cases size that determine what they send you. I bought 800 rounds of Privi from AIM and will reload when it's all shot up.
Ken

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
If it's anything like the mixed manufacture i got, you'll have mostly radway green and kynoch from the 40's and 50's. The ammo is corrosive and has a considerable number of click bangs and slow ignition in general. The rg's had nickel plated bullets which make cleaning a pain in the butt: The normal solvents work on it, just much slower. Balance your costs: I've recently decided it's not worth loss of accuracy+longer time cleaning if i am paying 25 cents a round when i could get PPU for 50 cents a round, and i've been very happy with that decision. When i've got enough ppu brass together i'll get it reloaded.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I found the 42 headstamps to be less of a click bang than the 43 dated headstamps. The 43's were 80% or more click bang and even the occasional dud.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
I found the 42 headstamps to be less of a click bang than the 43 dated headstamps. The 43's were 80% or more click bang and even the occasional dud.
I only had 42's in my batch: i can only imagine the horrors you must have faced considering i had nearly 100% hangfires with it. Get some PPU from AIM, save the trouble. IMO surplus is not cheaper than normal ammo enough anymore for me to be willing to put up with hangfires/sticky cases/burrs in case neck/whatever other issue it happens to have. It was worth it earlier this year but now... forget it. I'm shooting PPU/Igman/S&B.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I bought 800 rds of K52 a while back. The last time I shot this ammo, (about 200 rds) I had 1 dead primer and a couple of click-bangs. Some of the ammo was a little tarnished and stained but they did work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.