Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a Sako just recently and I was wondering how collectible/rare these are considered to be nowadays? This one has matching barrel shank, bolt, and magazine floorplate. I searched the gun for any import marks and haven't found any, so I think there isn't one, also, there isn't a D stamp, while there is a SA stamp. Also, does anyone know what that little A looking stamp on the magazine is?

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
There shouldn't be a "D" mark as these later production M39s were built accordingly. It should have small import mark from Century on bottom of muzzle end of barrel. It is an import. Back when imported they did not put large billboard import marks on. At least most people didn't. Very nice rifle. When they were readily available they didn't bring that much more than a standard M39. The evil Burns empire had them pictured and often they showed up. First come first serve. Eventually they dried up and prices went up some. Wish I had bought more of them but I tried to get nice examples and bought what I could afford at the time.

How much they are valued more than standard M39 now? Can't say, but I myself would pay maybe $50 more? But I am not up on values at todays odd ball world. I think they will increase in value simply because they look like M28/30s and are fairly rare. For shooting I like the curved wrist of the M39s, but think the straight stock is pretty awesome just the same. Thanks for sharing a nice rifle with everybody. Regards, John.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There shouldn't be a "D" mark as these later production M39s were built accordingly. It should have small import mark from Century on bottom of muzzle end of barrel. It is an import. Back when imported they did not put large billboard import marks on. At least most people didn't. Very nice rifle. When they were readily available they didn't bring that much more than a standard M39. The evil Burns empire had them pictured and often they showed up. First come first serve. Eventually they dried up and prices went up some. Wish I had bought more of them but I tried to get nice examples and bought what I could afford at the time.

How much they are valued more than standard M39 now? Can't say, but I myself would pay maybe $50 more? But I am not up on values at todays odd ball world. I think they will increase in value simply because they look like M28/30s and are fairly rare. For shooting I like the curved wrist of the M39s, but think the straight stock is pretty awesome just the same. Thanks for sharing a nice rifle with everybody. Regards, John.
A 1941 gun is late production? I've checked the gun for import marks, I can't see any, here's the end of the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The front sight was changed at some point. The 8.3 mark indicates that’s the original front sight height for that gun. In the 50s Finland imported a bunch of SVT40 rifles. They were not import marked. Maybe some other rifles were included in that shipment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front sight was changed at some point. The 8.3 mark indicates that’s the original front sight height for that gun. In the 50s Finland imported a bunch of SVT40 rifles. They were not import marked. Maybe some other rifles were included in that shipment.
Where is the 8.3 mark? If you're talking about the top of the barrel, both the numbers read 80.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The exact number I see commonly accepted is 6200 but who really knows.
According to OY SAKO AB's letter to the Ministry of Defence, dated August 7th, 1940, the factory had approximately 6200 stock blanks that could not be modified to include a pistol grip. The Department of Ordnance (Taisteluvälineosasto) agreed to accept no more than 7000 stocks without a pistol grip. According to various inspection reports, some SAKO rifles were finished and inspected several months after the first rifles from the same batch meaning their exact specifications could have been very different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.