Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Here are some pictures of my Sako Hi-Power in 30-06.
As per late HVA 640, it uses the FN M98 action, "H" type, without the wing safety. It's also an early demonstration of the famous Sako trigger system.
Just let me know if anyone want more close ups or details.
P.S. does anyone have the serialization of those rifles?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got a reply form Sako!!!!

OK, here we are....
Seem the Hi-Power rifles are scarcer than I tought....
Here's the reply from Sako to me, my Sako bearing S/N 11129X;
----------------------------
"This Sako High Power rifle in cal. .30-06 was delivered from Sako to United States on the 18th of December in 1958. The importer of Sako was by this time Firearms International.This shipment included 20 similar rifles.The name mr. Vogelsanger must have added there by some custom gunsmith or shop. We have no data on this, naturally.

Sako manufactured these rifles during the period, that we had no long action of our own. The serial numbers started with 100001 , and these were principally made from 1951 to 1960. However, actions remained to factory still after the L61R Sako action was designed and production started in 1962.

We also made rifles for other companies to these commercial Mausers, for example Weatherby."
-------------------------
So, it tell me we still have plenty to learn about those rifles; All the american sources I found showed a 1952 to 1957 for years of production... seems they're all wrong!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Great stuff Baribal - although my true loves are Husqvarna and S&L rifles, I have an infatuation with Sako rifles. It is surprising that there isn't more historical information out there about these good rifles. And very nice that the factory people replied to you. I only own one Sako, but it sits proudly in the rack with my HVA and S&L beauties.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wow!

For one year I tried to get some information from them on the L46 series, but eventually I gave up, since it turned into a bad-tooth-pulling contest with me being the only participant...
And here you get enough information to write a small book. Well, almost anyway.
Guess they don't like Swedes much. :mad:

Pettson

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There is a book put out by the Sako Oy company titled "The First Seventy Five Years" or something close to that. It is written in Finnish, so that makes things a little difficult, but supposedly this is one of two books that are must haves. The other book is titled, "Arma Fennica" and I believe it may be in English, but I have never seen a copy, so that may not be so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Arma Fennica is three volumes. Volume one deals with firearms. Main text is in Finnish, but it has captions and chapter summaries in English.

Pettson

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky Man

So, I might consider myself as a lucky fellow!?
Anyways, all I can say about the people I talked to, at Sako Oy, is thanks a lot!

It provides me historical references about this particular rifle wich was used in Eastern Quebec (Iles-De-La-Madeleine - Remember Brigitte Bardot - Unfortunately, she was wearing too many clothes...) to hunt seals....

·
Silver Bullet member
49,401 Posts
fn action , with safari "DELUXE" ADDED, SAKO TRIGGER

i ve got a fn 300 action, parker hale[308 very accurate
] barrel , that has the sako trigger, same rear sight set up. :Dit use to have a plain:( sile snobble stock.{but we found a very"hard" $400:eek: rifle stock blank where we get our wood in kentucky and had my friend don stock it. has snobbel with a different exotic wood, same on pistol grip cap,hand checker} I believe these are the same SET UPS, OR ARE THE 400 ACTIONS WITH OUT THUMB CUT OUT SET UP THE SAME ,:rolleyes: but used by different companies in the 1950s early 60s, have only found this in one ad.:confused: parker hale when written, would not return answers to this,but only the later actions<><school teacher

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i'll dig it out

There is a book put out by the Sako Oy company titled "The First Seventy Five Years" or something close to that. It is written in Finnish, so that makes things a little difficult, but supposedly this is one of two books that are must haves. The other book is titled, "Arma Fennica" and I believe it may be in English, but I have never seen a copy, so that may not be so.
I have the book: "SAKO: 1921-1971" in Finnish along with an English summation.

I cannot find anything in the book regarding FN actions.

I once had a delightful back and forth with gents from SAKO {including the President of the company} and was given a fairly large mount of info from them, including some copies of various Arma Fennica topics.

My SAKO Finnbear is one I won't part with. Too many good memories, plus my son promises me he'll kill a big Kodiak brown bear with it some day...

·
Registered
181 Posts
What model or model number is the sako with the FN m98 action?

I saw one somewhere but cant find it again now

·
Registered
2 Posts
sako rifle

glad i ran across this forum, i have a sako rifle that i didn't have any idea what model it was or how old it may be. the only thing i knew about it was that my uncle had it for along time and shot a deer with it almost every year. my dad bought it from his auction so that if my uncle every wanted to hunt again he could use his own gun. dad did have a gun shop look at it to see how old it was and how much it was worth but the guy told him he should have save his money. but now seeing this forum i think maybe the guy might have known what it was. the serial # is 104xxx and i see it is a lower # than yours. do you have any idea when it might have been made. thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I'm guessing about the same period. Maybe one year before, not much more. They also made these rifles in 8X68 and surely other metric calibers. This ad was for the american version of the rifle.

See the Hi-Power here second from the right. This is a different evolution from the FN M/98 used by HVA, with the hinged flooplate release latch being embedded into the triggergard. The trigger is fully adjustable as mastered by Sako, and the left side wall of the action is "solid".
Sorry for the "foreign" rifle in the pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sako rifle

mine is chambered for the 270. the stock looks more like the second from the left, but the checkering on the forend is v'ed in at the rear and v'ed out at the front like an arrow. the trigger is a solid piece and does not have the box around it like the one in your first pictures. the floor plate drops out completly when the button is depressed that is in front of the trigger guard. the gun has a cheek piece but doesn't have the drop off at the butt plate. thanks for the information i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
HVA/Sako

Well, after having tried an old Sako in Greenland I (almost) gave up Husqvarnas! I know it is blasfemy to say here, but the Sakos have build-in bases and better sights! That is quite an advantage! But the old HVA is still better than many new rifles. At least I prefer it to any Remington 700, Blazer 93, Sauer 90/200 and even the adored Tikka T3 and many more! So it's not so that I dislike the HVA. I just have found something even better!

And I belong to the old school and started shooting with open sights! After 20 years I still prefer iron sights to scopes. And trust me that you will never find better iron sights on any rifle, new or old, than the military ones on some old Sakos. Actually they are remaining from the Mosin-Nagants and can still be found on old and modern Kalashnikovs. Unfortunately HVA never used quality-iron sights on their guns (but had excellent sidemounts for scopes).

And by the way! Some of you might remember my previuos post where I told of the HVA's return to military service (in North-East Greenland). It is about the finest proof of a quality rifle, since the army can choose anything they want, but they usually sticks to P-17, since it can take the tough environment, no modern rifle can!

Enjoy your Sako!

Best Umimmak

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No blasphemy, Umimmak, even our HVA "nut", namely Pettson, like the Sako....

This particular one was owned by a seal hunting from Madeleine Islands in St-Lawrence Gulf, so, not too far from Grønland.

Valleyboy68,

The second from the left is a HVA 649 (M/38).
According to the kind SAKO staff I talked to, S/N started at 100001 in 1951 and production was over in late 1960. Mine, as been dated by SAKO as a 1958.

If your stock is that different, my guess is that your rifle was either bought as a barreled action or custom made.
Sako supplied a lot of barreled action and they also made orders for different manufacturers, including Marlin (M/455) and Weatherby.
Firearms International, the importer at that time, also assembled rifles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sako M98

I love hunting rifles based on the M98 Mauser actions. I bought this Sako about 10 years ago from a dealer in Sandpoint, Idaho and never regretted it. It is a .270 with a very smooth action. It has a hooded front sight and I see that some rifles are without this feature. Were there some variations from the factory or have some owners just removed the hood? What is the value of these rifles today? pclark

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know the value in the States, but here it's usually over 550.00 $ CAD, up to 950.00 $ CAD.
BB is listing the 100% condition to 695.00 US $, while Gun Digest's Catalog put it as a "sleeper" at 600.00 $ US.

The hoods are/were often lost in action, and mine did not come with one.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There is a Sako on a M98 action in 375 H&H that's been for sale at the local gunshows for the last year and a half or so. The stock does not have the M/C cheek piece, just a European style,,which I like much better.
A well used rifle that also has the end of the muzzle threaded. That looks to be original to the rifle as the front sight ramp doesn't look like it has been moved back to accomodate the fine threading on the muzzle.
A muzzle cap would be my uninformed guess,,but most everyone who picks it up thinks it for some sort of silencer. That would be some silencer wouldn't it??!!

Looks to be a standard length commercial 98 action with the accomodating modifications done for the 375H&H cartridge.
It's tempting!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts