Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a 7.62x39 Saiga and converting it to AKM configuration w/US compliance parts. I've built plenty of AK's and this is within my capabilities. Is it really worth it? I like the idea of getting a Russian receiver and barrel. Please let me know your experiences and thoughts on this.

jcrane

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a 7.62x39 Saiga and converting it to AKM configuration w/US compliance parts. I've built plenty of AK's and this is within my capabilities. Is it really worth it? I like the idea of getting a Russian receiver and barrel. Please let me know your experiences and thoughts on this.

jcrane
I've have a Saiga 12 converted to an AKM configuration (furniture, front and rear sight blocks, muzzle brake). It has a nice big arrow-in-triangle receiver stamp too. I couldn't be happier.

Keith

G

·

jcrane
I think it's very worth it and fun to do too. I haven't done 7.62 yet just a 5.45 and two .223s. I made them look like an ak should, I'm more of a purist, I don't like all that tacti-cool crap all over my gun, but to each his own they say.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a new saiga even if its left in the orginal form. I have a few in 223 and in 308 and i think there the hottest buy on the planet after all were buying a brand new russian ak/akm not someone's butcherd rework. Wether you convert it or not thats up to you but i like them in there orginal form mainly because there different.

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
i love both my saigas also. they are not just typical sporterized akms but sporterized ak 100 series. Top of the line product in my opinion too. i was out today looking at rifles. i went to a place near downtown houston and saw at least 20 different ak type rifles, not counting the huge rack of saigas. they had several TGI AMD's. I didnt like them. Many had flaws in the build. One receiver didnt match to the forearm by at least 1/8" and the dust cover mismatched by at least 1/4". That was the worst one, but the others weren't far behind. The yugos they had were real rough and gritty feeling just racking the bolt, but seemed like some decent rifles. The bulgarian ak type they had was pretty decent and i thought it was the best out of the many ones they had. Saw some Wasr's also, but they are Wasr's. They had a few arsenals also. There was not many differences between those and the saigas I have done. The bullet guides are riveted in, accsesory lug on the gas block, and an proper lower retainer. They also had a few arsenals with folding 100 series style stocks. If you want a folder of this type, I would recommend the arsenal over a saiga, unless you can do this yourself. A gunsmith for that work is $$$. The arsenals I looked at were also made at Legion, a special branch of Izhmash. There were a few other types but I did not see any hungarian or polish though. A lot of the early 2009 saiga x39s have been found with military barrels too. Mine is a military barrel and was factory threaded (14x1) under the shroud.

Here is my most recently converted saiga (7.62x39) with russian plum with a tapco slant and Hungarian 20 mag. I found 1 Bulgarian plum mag until I can find a Russian plum mag for it. I am also waiting on an Ak-103 muzzle brake to arrive so I can install it onto a bulgarian FSB I have. I also picked up a bushnell trophy red dot to go on my BP-02 until I can one day afford a kobra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.