Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this and if it's in the wrong place I apologize. I am posting here because these weapons are in the AK form factor more than less, I understand. So, having given my disclaimer,,, Has anyone played around with these enough to give a review on them. Once I start back to work I am looking at getting one of the 20 guage models. Any input? Thanks...

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,503 Posts
Great shotguns, I found out they work best with some loads better then others but as long as I used good quality shells I had no problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Saiga shotgun

I had one in 12 guage..worked flawlessly...kicked like a mule...but after I intalled green black jack buffer...it was tamed...just a hard push on shoulder...I hunted deer with mine....I loved it...wish I still had it...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saiga-20

I have looked briefly at pics on the web and watched the demos on youtube. man what an awesome gun. Makes me want to be a police man just to be able to have a full auto, lol. I am thinking the short barreled 20 gauge with 5 and 10 rnd clips and the draganov style butt stock with buffer and recoil pad. This should serve as a plinker, skeet/trap gun, deer hunting gun, and home defense weapon all in one. And the prices I've seen aren't bad either. I think I'm hooked, does anyone know where a guy could go around Kansas City to test fire one? Maybe some one local has one they would link up with me to check it out.:D;):D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Saiga 12 gauge is extremely reliable and accurate. A lot of guys use them to win 3 gun comps. I own two Saiga 12's and two Saiga 20's, in stock and PG config. The 20's, if you cut down the barrel you must make appropriate gas system mods, or ejection will/ may not be reliable on the shorter and low base shells. Other than that they are awesome for a 20. Hi-cap mags are a must (in my book) for any saiga shotgun- I prefer the Russian 8 rounders over the AGP 10 as the AGP's just seem too cumbersome to me, although they work and are much cheaper than the Russian 8's. You can get high caps (Russian) for the 20, but you must send away to England for them.
You can now get a Saiga made polychoke from Gilberts Guns for around $100, (fits only Saiga 12 gauge w/ factory choke threads.) I have not seen any yet for the factory threaded 20 gauge. I mention their name only as this is the ONLY place I have seen them (and I'm on the net a lot at distributor and seller sites as I work part time in a gunshop).
Seems like a nice option, I think I'm going to get one.

J.D.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check the Tromix website-THE ultimate version of Saiga shotguns.

·
Registered
197 Posts
They are good shooters

I have two Saiga 12 gauge shotguns. One has a long barrel and the other, a shorter barrel.

Both function perfectly with most kinds of ammo. I have a background in law enforcement and have always considered shotguns to be great defensive weapons.

The Saiga has the reliability, but would be better if it could be made to lock open after the last shot is fired. That would facilitate reloading in my opinion.

I recall reading in Ezell's book on the AK-47 that Kalashnikov omitted the hold-open feature to keep dirt out of the chamber. That's less important to the average cop than a fast, instinctive reload.

I like the Saigas but will confess that I didn't think they'd work as well as they do. The fit and finish are typical AK, nothing to write home about, but they do shoot and that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts