Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Very kewl, I have been thinking about getting one of these possibly, one thing I keep hearing is about keeping magazines loaded and it causing the top round to get deformed. Is this true, is there a fix if so? Are specific magazines the problem, say 10 rounders or...

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Very kewl, I have been thinking about getting one of these possibly, one thing I keep hearing is about keeping magazines loaded and it causing the top round to get deformed. Is this true, is there a fix if so? Are specific magazines the problem, say 10 rounders or...

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like really heavy magazine spring.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
What does one of them run as far as conversion parts/labor? Is it something one can do themself? I am not much into shotguns, but that would be awesome to say the least. Can wood furniture be used if carved out enough?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
I thought the shell deformation was just an issue with loaded mags left inserted in the shotgun, with downward pressure from the bottom of the bolt squashing the cases. I didn't think deformation occured just by leaving magazines loaded.

I have one of the Red Jacket Saiga 12s, configured to look like a regular AKM including wood furniture, FSB and rear sight leaf.

Keith

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What does one of them run as far as conversion parts/labor? Is it something one can do themself? I am not much into shotguns, but that would be awesome to say the least. Can wood furniture be used if carved out enough?
Cost of a converted gun can run the sky's the limit...
With mags and everything done to mine, I'm at about 850.00...but it does have a lot of toys on it.
I did all the work myself with basic hand tools, a dremel and a battery drill.
There are several good guides on how to convert them...I can send you some links.
And yes, with a little extra work, you can put wood furniture on them.

And even though it's a shotgun, it's really just an over sized AK, so if you have ever messed with an AK, you should be right at home.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
The bolt applies the same amount of downward force onto the top shell (which is then transfered downwards through the rest) as the spring applies upwards. Basic physics. This is why it is harder to seat a loaded Saiga 12 magazine with the bolt closed than with it open, because you are seating the magazine while compressing the spring a little more.

Keith

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Hey Kid, $850.00 is still less than a Benelli, and yours is WAYYYY cooler than that. I would go the oversized, standard AK look on one, but maybe if I ever hunt Iowa, this will be what I use. I have seen converted ones, maybe from Atlantic, that were $350.00 or so higher than what you have in it. Awesome piece.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Like others, I've found that the shells are OK loaded into a mag, as long as the mag is not loaded into the Sagia.
I have 2 SMG 12 round mags, bought back when they where Surefire, and they work quite well.
Did find early on the mine didn't care for Estate Target loads. This may have been a combination of the "Low Recoil" load and the fact that the Saiga was new out of the box, and quite tight. Now that I've run some rounds through it, I might give them a try again. For now the Rio Game loads work just fine.
Mine has a Tapco stock, and AK style scope mount with both top and side rails, a Red Dot/Laser combo on top, and soon a light to be added to the side rail.
Just got a MD Arms 20 round drum. I'm on the road, and haven't seen it yet, but my brother says it looks well made.
Next and probably last mod will be a forearm to bring to whole look together. With the adjustable stock with hand grip, scope mount, and drum, the factory forearm looks a bit out of place.
Haven't done the popular modification, moving the trigger, and don't know that I will. The factory placement suits me fine, but I can see why some people like it. It does change the look a lot. Looking at the guides to doing this mod, I would caution that this might be reserved for those with confidence in their mechanical abilities. This is not something you would want to start, then discover you couldn't finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts