Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice M1 Carbine by Saginaw with a Buffalo Arms barrel that does not have the bayo lug rework on it but does have the adjustable rear sight. It was having a problem as every time I would (try) to shoot it - every round would fail to chamber all the way and the bolt would not close. I brushed it out and small rings of brass were coming out with the brush and I decided that there was a small ring of corrosion right at the mouth of the chamber and that the brass would get gripped so hard by it that, it would get ripped off during extraction. Today, I put a stainless steel brush on a rod and spun it with a drill in the chamber area. When I got to the range, I found that that worked just fine and I shot about 10 rounds without issue. Then for some reason, all the parts of the bolt decided to disassociate themselves with the bolt. The extractor, extractor spring and plunger and the ejector all cam flying out. Amazingly enough, I found all the little bits and pieces but am not sure why the bolt decide to come apart like that. That would have been a real drag if somebody was shooting it in a combat situation. So why did it all come apart?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Quite likely it was not assembled correctly; or the extractor or plunger engaging surfaces, or extractor spring are worn out.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The extractor plunger is the key to the who thing. If it is not installed properly as 03 man said then it allows the extractor to come out of the bolt which in turn allow the ejector and firing pin to come out of the bolt. As curly1 suggested get a bolt tool. One of the reproductions will work as well as an over priced original. Make sure the plunger is in proper position when you put it back together. A bit of grease on the bottom of the plunger to help hold it in place when putting it back together again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.