Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
All of them
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In your opinions what is not original about it, the SG bolt or other features? I’m not well versed in them, so I have little to go on. I noticed the BP doesn’t seem to have any markings, it looks like it should be marked?

· Gold Bullet member
1,662 Posts
IIRC, SG butt plates were not marked. The diamond pattern is the key to determining the manufacturer and I am not up on those. :)
I would not change any existing parts!
Chuck.

· Registered
5,884 Posts
Butt plate ID here.

curly ----- Thanks for posting the ".30 Caliber Buttplates ID" I looked up the butt plate on my Standard Products .30 carbine and see the small stamp on the left edge that appears to be "s-53". Do you know what it is supposed to mean ? That stamp shows up in the ID list for the Std. Prod. you provided. Thanks

· Registered
5,884 Posts
Chuck , curly ------- Thanks for your replies. Is your Std. Prod. carbine of the early mfg. with the flip rear sight, flat bolt, no bayo. lug etc. My Std. Prod. carbine is an early one with all the correct features, even an early shoulder strap. I haven't fired mine in more than 40 years . An Inland .30 M1 is my shooter piece with a replacement stock, hand guard and repro bayonet. It is one of my favorite WWII weapons to take out and burn powder with.

· Gold Bullet member
1,662 Posts
Chuck , curly ------- Thanks for your replies. Is your Std. Prod. carbine of the early mfg. with the flip rear sight, flat bolt, no bayo. lug etc. My Std. Prod. carbine is an early one with all the correct features, even an early shoulder strap. I haven't fired mine in more than 40 years . An Inland .30 M1 is my shooter piece with a replacement stock, hand guard and repro bayonet. It is one of my favorite WWII weapons to take out and burn powder with.
BC, my Standard Products was built in Oct/Nov 1943 [and 2001/02], it also has all early features, I made sure of that :) [restored].

Chuck.

· Gold Bullet member
1,662 Posts
BC, no rebuild marks because I restored my Stand. Prod. carbine in 2001/02. It was a barreled receiver and stock that I traded for back in 01/02. I then went on the "hunt" for the other parts that I did not already have. It was very enjoyable getting it completed. I did lots of gun show attending and internet scouring, where I met and made friends with many good, like minded folks. While doing this, I was able to pick up parts for carbines that I did not as yet have. I new I was going to keep searching until I had an example of all of the original manufacturers. The search continues, as I do not have and am not likely to find an Irwin Pederson that will fit into my discretionary funds budget. :) Along the way I also have collected several commercial carbine variations, from Alpine to Crosman, a BB rifle, to Universal [early and late production].

Chuck.

· Gold Bullet member
1,662 Posts
lambo ----- What marks do you see on your carbine that shows a rework in 2001 / 02 ? I believe my Std. Prod. carbine has never been restored.
BC, I also believe your Stand. Prod carbine has not been messed with. A very nice example!

Chuck.

· Registered
5,884 Posts
lambo ----- You have a very ambitious search for an example of every originally produced M1 carbine from WWII. At today's prices I've been excluded from the carbine market. I'm happy with my Std. Prod., Saginaw S.G. and Inland Motors pieces. I only fire the Inland since the stock and hand guard are not originals.

· Gold Bullet member
1,662 Posts
BC, except for the Irwin Pederson, I have an example of each of the WW2 manufactures although not all are in "as they left the factory" configuration. My Inland and Winchester are both as issued [I think :) ] condition. The others are either import marked, rebuilds or restored.

Chuck.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts