Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking my CHL renewal recently and took along a bulgarian in 9x18 for the fun part of the test.

Long story short, the instructor has 5 of us lined up at the range and has us lay our pistols out on the benches. He then proceeds to do a "safety inspection".

My pistol has the slide locked open and the magazine removed.
He picks it up, and flips the safety up - up past the last detent and proceeds to remove the safety.
( hence the "safety inspection" I guess... )
He tells me I can't use that pistol because it's unsafe.

I tried to explain to him that's how they work, but he let me know really quickly that he had "built three just like that" and the pistol was unsafe.

Rather than argue the point, I went got one of the other 4 pistols I brought with me ( another bulgarian just like the first ) and he was happy with it.

Was the kid just an idiot, or do I just have the largest number of Maks with identical safety defects? Everyone one of mine work exactly the same way - with the slide back, you can remove the safety from the slide.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Right the first time - the kid was an idiot. That's how the safety is removed, which is the step you take before removing the firing pin for inspection and periodic cleaning of the firing pin channel.

Speaking of which, it's probably a good thing the kid didn't see your firing pin slide out without a spring on it or he would have gone ballistic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Was the kid just an idiot, or do I just have the largest number of Maks with identical safety defects? Everyone one of mine work exactly the same way - with the slide back, you can remove the safety from the slide.
Maybe an idiot - maybe not. Perhaps just ignorant of the Makarov pistol and its functional design. If your safety is removed VERY easily, you might want to adjust the tension on the spring to snug it up just a hair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe an idiot - maybe not. Perhaps just ignorant of the Makarov pistol and its functional design. If your safety is removed VERY easily, you might want to adjust the tension on the spring to snug it up just a hair.
I had never had a problem with that pistol's safety - I'll tighten it up though.
It is well used. I have put well over 2,000 rounds through it.

To me the funny part (well not at the time, it was irritating right then) was that he "had built three of them" himself. If he really had - oh well.. I qualified. In Texas they don't even let you know your score anymore -- you either pass or fail. I passed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts