Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was a thread in the General Collectors' Forum. Sometimes, interesting Italian-related topics tend to get lost there. This one was especially worthwhile and instructive, because it treated the safety and stability of the oft-discussed Moschetti TS 38 "S" conversions to 7,9x57 (= 8x57 IS in civilian parlance). The thread displayed some of the usual ignorance and prejudices, but also gave a stunning testimony of the actual quality of the Carcano action (namely, how well it handled the catastrophic case failure).

Lars
Posted - 06/11/2007 : 10:17:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blew up a Carcano M38 in 8mm over the weekend. Was using Yugo 50's milsurp ammo. Shot 39 rounds without any problem then poof. Bore was not obstructed. Action held but had to hammer the bolt open. Split the stock lengthwise. The magazine got pushed out sideways. Got some blow back in the face and stunned by the conclusion. Got some bits of brass in my thumb and nose and raspberry speckles on my cheek and forehead. I really like my shooting glasses. They saved my eyes.

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Lars/2007611221427_shell_lack.jpg
Download Attachment:
270.47 KB

The big piece above the shell is the broken end of the extractor.
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Lars/2007611221515_busted.jpg
Download Attachment:
236.13 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Lars/2007611221638_Yugo8mmSurplus.JPG
Download Attachment:
61.26 KB

OMalley
Posted - 06/11/2007 : 10:31:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, glad to hear you are OK. I am always surprised when I see people shooting without proper eye protection.

Panhead Bill
Posted - 06/11/2007 : 10:52:08 PM

I test fired my four 8mm M38 with a string, while hiding behind the truck. I used Yugo but the 30's stuff. No stretch in the brass. Did the previous used brass show stretching from possible headspace problems?
Any damage to the rifle? Lugs etc ok? These are hard to headspace but the brass usually shows problems.

I have shot some of that ammo. Not my first choice.
Glad all is well,

Lars
Posted - 06/11/2007 : 11:56:30 PM

Bolt still looks OK, straight with the lugs intact. The action's still cycles fine and the trigger mechanism works as always. The action now rattles around in the cracked stock (crack caused by the blow up not hammering the bolt open). I have run 10% powder reduced milsurp loads and mild handloads thru it previously. Brass looked OK.
Notice the head of one of the reinforcement stock bolts got popped off the side when the mag got pushed out sideways. See the new gap in the mag floor plate fit.
In case there's any confusion I can't recommend the experience.

bones92
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 06:30:21 AM
Glad you are okay. Good lesson for all of us to wear shooting glasses.

Jeremy
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 06:32:46 AM
Looks like the old 50's yugo brittle brass got you.

7.62x54r
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 06:34:38 AM
Lars, glad you're okay. Is there an issue with this ammo also? I think I have some but have never shot it. TIA

creepiE
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 06:42:26 AM
There are several cases of problems with Yug 50's exploding when being fired. Happened to me a couple of times. In Mausers though they handle the gases better, so all you get is the smoke. I take it Carcano's dont have gas escape features?

MilSurpFan
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 08:23:01 AM

I think the interesting part is you say the basic action seems to be intact. I understand the action itself is pretty strong, but that damage sure looks like the definition poor gas handling.

I wonder if the same type of brass failure with 6.5x52 would be as severe?

jjk308
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 08:55:02 AM

Big pressure reduction from 8x57 to 6.5 carcano but it seems that something else, like really weak brass and/or an overload, was also part of the problem. see http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/emary.html for info on Carcano pressures and strength.

As usual the action itself did OK, but the case came apart catastrophicaly, damaging the stock, magazine and extractor.

I wouldn't shoot an 8mm carcano myself. While it has enough strength it doesn't seem to be as strong as even the 1893 Mauser and apparently has the same poor gas handling features.

The low number 03 Springfield matter was something else entirely. Some receivers were too brittle and a modest overload from poor quality early WWI ammo turned them into hand grenades.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 09:04:02 AM
SCARY! Glad you're alright, Lars...

Download Attachment:
21.48 KB

Michael Jon Littman
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 09:33:29 AM
I am glad you are OK. This is another case where proper gun handling and safety saved what may have beena VERY bad day.

eli
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 10:03:25 AM
It's clearly an issue with the ammo, not the rifle. It held up.

ernie30
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 12:11:17 PM

There are several things that caused the problem. First there is so much bad information being passed along on the internet about these rifle. They were not made by the Italians for north Africa, nor the Russian front. They are not the 8mm Carcanos used by the Germans. They were put together after the war as trainers for the Middle East, so there was little quality control. They will be found with bores as small as .308 land and .321 groove, fire a military spec .323 dia heavy bullet through that bore and you will raise pressures alot. Next many are short chambered which jams the bullet into the rifling raising pressures some more. On many the bolt face has not been opened up from the original .448 to the 8mm's .470 rim, yes you can force the round to seat. Then you have the extractor jammed into the case with alot of force and when fired the case trys to straighten up in the chamber and tear the case head off. Next you have brittle brass by using old surplus ammo of unknown quality. The final result is you fired a round at about 70,000 cup with brittle brass and an extractor that trys to rip the case head off, and you did rip the case head off! You fired ammo in a rifle that was not chambered for it! There was a post a while back of a "wildcat" round made for a 8mm carcano, it shot great with no problems. It had a 56mm long case, the rim turned down to .448 and a .321 dia bullet. That cartridge fit the rifle, so it worked correctly. The Carcano action is strong enough for regular 8mm pressures of about 55,000 cup. Yes their original 6.5mm ammo made less pressure, but that has nothing to do with the rifle's capabilities. The Carcano is a mostly a large ring version of the Gew-88 rifle [ which fired 100's of 1000's of 8mm S ammo in WWI ] with no problem. If you follow bad internet information, you can break a rifle.

DocAV
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 8:45:18 PM

I am in full agreement with Ernie above.

There is Nothing Wrong with the Gun (Carcano M38 7,9mm cal), only the ammunition.
The fact that the gas blast from a failed CASE was diverted into the magazine well and split the stock is sure evidence of the rifle's strength. It's the Ammo, s#####

The Unopened Bolt face question...could be that someone (importer, etc) simply fitted normal 6,5 type Bolts (unopened face) to 7,9 rifles without bolts...most would Not know any better. So it is not necessarily a "factory omission" or poor quality control.

As with any Milsurp rifle of over 50 years of age( and some younger as well) the use of old or suspect Milsurp ammo is to be decried, as most commonly, the ammo fails, NOT the rifle. There has been enough written about certain batches of 1950s Yugo ammo (and others as well) to put all users on notice.

The events described also show the efficacy of correct shooting glasses.( and the efficiency of the Carcano's Gas deviation system.)..and the fact that the Firing Pin mechanism did not shear out...as is commonly intimated as a failure of the Carcano design.

7.62x54r
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 9:11:41 PM
Great information Ernie, and Doc. I have two tins of 8mm with the wooden handled "rip cord" set back for my loan RC German Mauser. I know it's Yugo, is it '50s dated? Is it safe to shoot in a quality 8mm Mauser? I'm not overly worried about accuracy, just safety. TIA.

Lars
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 11:02:08 PM

The rear sight is marked 7.92. The barrel is marked "40-XVIII" and "F.N.A.-Brescia". Bolt handle's marked with a stylized FN. All these markings are stamped. A .308 bullet falls thru the bore. A pulled 7.62x54R yellow tip bullet passes thru the bore with a little resistance - can also see daylight around the grooves with bullet in the bore. Shell and bolt face size matches. Never had a problem with unloading a chambered cartridge leaving a bullet in the rifling nor in closing the bolt.

Edit 6/17:
Without getting too soapy or soapboxy: many thanks and appreciation to all of you with concern for my health.

Since it's Father's Day I'll say it reminds me that the risks I take do not expose me alone. And I've been a poor example.

In the week I've had to ruminate on the incident I will say my own irrational exuberance overrode the known risk with this combination - and I got caught. Physics does not care neither does it grant do-overs. Fault or blame is mine.
I hope this information is useful.
Edited by - Lars on 06/17/2007 11:01:37 PM

sjmjax
Posted - 06/12/2007 : 11:26:06 PM
This is related to what ernie has said. The 50's Yugo has also developed a reputation with 8mm 1919 machine gun and semi shooter's for blowing up guns and often injuring the shooter. The brass appears to be brittle or corroded internally and maybe most importantly most guns are not throated properly for the long, heavy bullet used in this ammo. It causes serious pressure spikes and leads to case ruptures.

I've blow three top covers shooting this stuff in my 1919. I stick to Romanian these days. I've never had a single problem shooting many, many thousands of rounds of Romanian. I can rarely get through a single belt of Yugo without serious problems.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. Many people like the cheap Yugo ammo. I won't be buying any more of it. What's left of my stash will sit in storage until I get a special long throat barrel made for the 1919. Then I'm still going to wear crotch armor when I shoot it!

my-rifle
Posted - 06/14/2007 : 12:46:30 AM
I own over 8000 rounds of 8mm Mauser ammo, most of it 1950's Yugo. I burned through one case and was just into the second when I started getting case splits. 1955 Yugo 8mm brass ammo. By the time I thought to look I'd thrown away the first case, so I don't know what it's date of manufacture was. I've fired about 500 rounds of the second case, and I've had about 11 split brass malfunctions. In one instance the case split from the primer right around the rim and 1/4" up the side of the case. That was the worst and it ruffled my hair. The Mauser action is amazing. Not only does it have two sets of locking lugs, but it has a channel internal to the bolt sleeve that catches the force of the explosion and vents it to the side of the bolt and away from the shooter's face. I'm not too concerned about the Mauser's action letting go. My big fear is that the bolt face will disintegrate and vent all that gas straight into my face.

There's more of the stuff at Southern Ohio Guns for 10 cents a round, but I'm not going to buy any more. When this stuff's gone I'll start handloading.

Tiledude
Posted - 06/14/2007 : 11:22:54 PM

I've shot mine (M-38 Franchi 7.92x57) with moderate reloads similar to Rem/Fed/Win factory loads. Will continue to do so - No indications of any pressure problems.

Would not shoot with full power ball in any large volume. No reason to. The action is strong, but not as safe as some others when it comes to gas handling in the case of a CASE failure.

Hillbilly
Posted - 06/15/2007 : 11:05:40 AM
I picked up a 600 rounds of the 50's Yugo last year from Century. It was out of the tin packed in 15 round boxes. Out of 100-150 rounds fired I had two rounds with defects or cracks. It was reasonably accurate with no misfires or hang fires.I was firing it in my 03 Turk and my K98.
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/hillbilly/200761511054_DSCF0619_edited.JPG
Download Attachment:
295.78 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/hillbilly/200761511412_DSCF0621_edited.JPG
Download Attachment:
253 KB

Hillbilly
Posted - 06/15/2007 : 11:18:27 AM
Here is another shot of the packaging. This is lite ball. It is not the best i have ever shot but definitely not the worst either. I however IMHO would not shoot it through anything less than a 98 action.
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/hillbilly/200761511180_DSCF0623_edited.JPG
Download Attachment:
247.72 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/hillbilly/2007615111818_DSCF0624_edited.JPG
Download Attachment:
264.1 KB

pappa
Posted - 06/15/2007 : 12:35:34 PM
It is my understanding that the Yugo is "mild" with Turk being at the other end, "hot loaded". I am just wondering if anyone has fired the Turk in an 8mm Carcano. From this post, I am believing that the little Carcano is a far far stronger action than I have heard said for many years. Any bolt action that will sustain a full blow-out on a case and still cycle smoothly is one strong action. Since I haven't experienced any bad cases with my Turk ammo, it might work just fine. To tell the truth, I have several of these supposedly "Rommel specials" but have always been afraid to fire them because of what I'd been told. Or maybe I'll just try some milder "HotShot" type ammo; I see that Century has some 139g 8mm....that shouldn't hurt the shoulder quite so much.

Hillbilly
Posted - 06/15/2007 : 5:39:16 PM

I agree, the Turk is hotter than the Yugo. But if you are going to shoot surplus ammo (ie 50's yugo) that has some reported failures or issues, why take a chance. Run it through a action that is designed with safety features to handle or absorb such failures. Myself having owned one of the 8mm carcanos. I would stick with the commercial loads or hand loads.

JPS
Posted - 06/16/2007 : 02:02:50 AM
Glad you weren't injured seriously Lars! You should write a nice letter to the company that produced your shooting glasses!

This is just another example that reinforces the decision I made years ago to "roll my own"! Hand loads are the ONLY way to go in my opinion.

Yes, I know that most surplus ammunition is perfectly safe and that certain ammunition like the Yugo mentioned in this thread and the hot Turkish 8x57mm ammunition come to mind. But when I pull the trigger, whether hunting or at the range, I know that the quality control performed on the round in the chamber was my own and there are no question marks in the back of my mind regarding whether or not it's safe!

Just my own personal approach to safety. I don’t have to worry about my rifle, myself or anyone who happens to occupy a bench next to me at the range. In addition, going this route does not leaving me guessing as to whether or not the ammunition is corrosive!

Glad your okay Lars!

Pahtu
Posted - 06/16/2007 : 02:29:20 AM
I bought this one last summer - it is not chambered in 8mm, but 6.5. I fired it last Summer & found it had a small void/pit in the chamber - the brass expanded into the hole in the chamber - extraction/ejection was fine - after I found the flaw, I quit shooting the piece - too bad it is a wall hanger now....=+(

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Pahtu/20076162264_J.JPG
Download Attachment:
35.68 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Pahtu/200761622619_K.JPG
Download Attachment:
41.2 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Pahtu/200761622642_L.JPG
Download Attachment:
47.9 KB

Tiledude
Posted - 06/16/2007 : 8:59:46 PM
That's a shame Pahtu - Nice looking rifle too.

I just shot my 6.5 and 7.35 M-38SR Carcanos today at the range - Nice rifle. I think that you should get another one!

Pahtu
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 02:50:36 AM
"I think that you should get another one!"

I probably will, this one looks to be refinished - if it was bubba, he did a very consistant job - A gunshop dealer sold me this one - Said it came from the wholesaler this way....Hmmm I dunno - In any event it probably is a wall hanger now - too bad because the action is 90% plus...

son_of_the_gun
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 04:10:03 AM
If it's that nice, Pahtu, why not see if a gunsmith could add some metal to the chamber to smooth it out? Surely something like "JB Weld" could do the trick? (pardon my optmistic ignorance in this matter)

Tiledude
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 11:28:13 AM

I think that we got a little off-thread. Good point about there being other, better, (safer?) 8mm Launchers out there. Very practical point.

I think that there is a desire to fire some of these rifles even if they might not be safe like a Remington Mod 700. I've shot my M-38 7.92x57 but I don't shoot it a lot. I would rather shoot full-bore 7.92x57 from a full-sized rifle and not a carbine. For daily shooting I'd suggest a Carcano in 6.5mm or 7.35mm.

Liberty
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 1:14:06 PM
Lars, Wow good post. There is still much to learn here. The old ammunition was cetainly brittle, but how was the headspace before? If the action is intact you should still be able to take a measurement of this. Addition information would be most helpful.

pappa
Posted - 06/18/2007 : 3:12:24 PM
Pahtu,
If extraction is fine then brass deformation into the void must certainly be minimal. A dark pit or slight depression on a shiny surface will appear much deeper than it is when viewed "from the side". Have you slid a non-marring tool with a 90 tip across the void, and felt the actual "ride" up or down of the tool?
I also like someone's suggestion on use of the JB Weld, though it wouldn't seem to be actually necessary in this case.
I bought a Stevens 20g dbl barrel in which wasps had built a nest in one barrel, causing accumulation of moisture and pitting. It looked so severe as to make that barrel unusable. Further checking revealed the pitts to be much shallower than they looked. Upon realizing that the shot cup contained the lead shot and the lead never touched the barrel I decided to fire the gun. It patterns good, and there is no plastic residue left on the pitts from the shot cups.
Personally. I see no reason not to fire that Carcano. Your other choice, since it is a wallhanger, is to sell it to me at a really bargain price. I will be most kind to allay your fears in this matter. Pappa

Carcano
Posted - 06/22/2007 : 4:39:06 PM

I have been AWOL for a very long time.

You can blame me for that (rightfully, for I should at least have had the decency to say "bye"; very bad style on my part), I blame world politics.

Be that as it may, the topic sure tempts me to sneak in back, if only for a moment. :-( Lots of ignorance displayed here, and a few contrastive bright sparks of knowledge (as expectable, by DocAV - thanks a lot, Astrid !).

A big apology to my friends from the past who may have wondered about my demise, or may even have missed me!
Alexander Eichener
Email: [email protected]
Carcano Website: http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano

Carcano
Posted - 06/24/2007 : 3:06:15 PM
As to the original poster Lars, thanks for the excellent pictures which indeed make a convincing statement, together with his explanation of what happened and how exactly the gun handled the escaping gas.

Vic
Posted - 06/24/2007 : 9:38:30 PM
Nice to see you Alexander.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Destruction experiment on 8mm Moschetto TS

Here is a most interesting experiment conducted by Bill Davis:

Bill Davis
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
1590 Posts
Posted - 11/24/2003 : 3:36:23 PM
As for strength, I took an 8MM Carcano, stuffed a case with Red Dot pistol powder, crammed an 8MM Lebel (VERY heavy) bullet on top of the mess, and fired it (by remote). No harm to rifle, it fire-formed the case to fit the receiver, and I had to drive the case out with a BIG mallet. I did this a total of 3 times, no apparent harm to the rifle, although it has been 'retired' since then. They are as safe as any other rifle of the period, although the 6.5 round only generates around 35,000 PSI. (...)
Bill Davis

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the flowers, Eli. Here are excerpts from another thread:

coasthwy1
Posted - 10/03/2003 : 01:48:54 AM
Even if maybe a fake, should a runed 8mm clip, as seen in the photo, ever make it into eBay, you can bet it will bring a small fortune. And you can also bet that Carcano will lead the bidding, albeit under an assumed screen name.

Carcano
Posted - 10/03/2003 : 04:55:30 AM
Hmmh... to be truthful, and looking into the hidden dark abysses of my soul, I fear I might not resist the temptation to sell a faked 8mm clip to coasthwy1 and his alikes, should the opportunity arise; after all, "I am young and I need the money" :D.

coasthwy1
Posted - 10/03/2003 : 5:22:30 PM
Carcano, if the repro clip fits, and works, you would not have to employ the dark side. I am not speaking of a reformed standard clip, but rather a cut down, remade, or new clip which will perfectly hold, feed, and function in an 8mmTS. For that, I would pay a fortune, even if I knew it was fake. And that is the honest truth.
BTW..your answer was great. It made me smile, and I needed that. Not to mention, before that post, I didn't think you had a soul.

Bill Davis
Posted - 10/03/2003 : 6:02:29 PM
coasthwy1, you can make a clip work by using a dremel tool to trim a little off the top of the clip, or you can swap mag assemblies with a 6.5MM...

Alexander, you are - as always regarding Carcanos - totally right, and some of the 8MM's DO have excessive headspace, at least according to my "Field" gauge from Forsters, whatever that's worth. I got 3 of them, 2 closed on the bolt with NO resistance. With some bolt swapping, I got 2 of them to pass.

I have also had difficulty with extraction, but I think this is caused by a rough chamber. They are NOT unsafe to fire (IF they check out OK) but they DO kick the $%#! out of you! I thought that these were MADE in 8MM and not converted, is that right? I have probably put 200+ rounds of various ball through mine, and I check EVERY case as it comes out, to look for bulged primers, etc. I swapped mag assemblies with a "sporter" 6.5 I bought for parts; it worked perfectly on the 8MM, and, oddly enough, the 8MM mag. worked fine on the 6.5, so it was a "win-win" situation all around. The DOWN side was, I was shooting at a 3X5 foot piece of plywood at 50M; 20 rounds later and I ain't hit it yet!

The muzzle blast is absolutely splendid; it turns into a whirlwind (no kidding!) about 5 yards in front of the muzzle, and picks up leaves, dirt, etc. into a "mini-tornado" and blows them downrange. Even a slip-on pad doesn't help much, it just climbs all over you. I made a clip by re-bending a brass one; couldn't get a steel one to work. After all that tweaking to get a workable gun, I end up with a rifle that can't hit a 3X5 target! It's GREAT for "range pest removal"; all the smart-a$$%$ with their comments, $3000 rifles, and NO hearing protection (!?) always pack up & leave after I shoot it a couple of times. "Ka-BLEWM!!

FWIW I tried to blow up an 8MM Carcano with bad headspace, I filled 2 cases with Red Dot pistol powder, and crammed a huge 8MM Lebel bullet on top of the whole mess. The gun jumped about 3 feet in the air, tire and all (I tied it to a "donut"-type spare tire), the cases blew out and totally filled the chamber, and had to be driven out. After all that, it still fired regular 8MM with no problems, or swelling brass, or anything like that. (I went ahead and fired another 20 rounds of regular 8MM-by remote-just to see if it had any effect on the rifle, none that was apparent). I then "retired" the rifle "for the good of the service" (!!).

Bill Davis

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tbaus
Posted - 06/14/2004 : 10:47:07 PM
1886lebel you may want to contact Military Gun Supply ( on the web) in Texas. They sold a lot of 8mm Carcanos and are still selling them. I got a couple of mine from them. They also sell parts. They most likley will have a firing pin.

Hillbilly, you really should stop repeating what you hear without checking facts. Just because you read something on the web, it does not mean it is true. NOTHING you said about the 8mm Carcano is true. I have shot and do shoot ALL 7 of mine. No signs of overpressure anywhere. One of the seven does have excessive headspace, which can be fixed. My father was a gunsmith and passed along his skills to me. Clips are easy to modify. Good shootin'...

(...)

tbaus
Posted - 06/15/2004 : 9:05:33 PM
Hillbilly,you are getting closer.. Of the seven I own and about the 30 I have personally examined, none had firing pin problems. As far as shoddy workmanship. None I have looked at were shoddy. All were at least as good or better than most 6.5 and 7.35 examples of which I own about 10.

The conjecture of sabotaged 8mm Carcanos as published on one internet site has been debunked in another thread on this board. Go find it. The author admits his statements were of the ilk, "I heard that he said that the other guy said that it was rumored", and so on, with no basis in actual fact.

As with any rifle that is not a new manufactured piece, a competent gunsmith should examine it and check headspace. That applies to ANY and ALL milsurp rifles. I have yet to find an intact Carcano ( not cobbled together with parts) that is unsafe to shoot when the headspace checks out, in any caliber. Like ALL other milsurp rifles, there likely is an unsafe one out there, but it may be in 6.5mm or 7.35mm!

It's funny, most non-Carcano milsurp collectors think the Carcano is ugly, inaccurate ( from what they "heard") and poorly made (Warren Report). I think they are snobs.
Then, you have people who have a Carcano or three ( not yet Carcano collectors) who turn their nose up ONLY at 8mm Carcanos, labeling them something bad, typically unsafe.

Again, these guys have never seen one throw a bolt or show something truly unsafe. Some of them had bolts that were hard to turn once a round was fired. They never think to look at the chamber to look for roughness that could explain the hard to open bolt. They usually don't even look at the lugs ( which are difficult to REALLY see with the barrel still on) they just "assume" it it a lug problem. They also don't put their brain in gear. They shot mausers, which has a bolt geometry that when you lift the bolt, it helps you move the bolt to the rear. This is not so with ANY Carcano bolt design, so when they have to tug to get the rough chambered round out they ignorantly say "lugs".

On one hand, it does not bother me to hear people publicly aspouse their ignorance without even knowing it. What bothers me is some other unknowing and well meaning person may then take a torch to a pristine example of history, or make a lamp out of it or something because they do not know better than to ignore the lunkhead parrot who repeats what he hears. If you repeat something enough, whether true or not, it becomes psuedo fact, which may as well be fact.

EDINOH
Posted - 07/15/2004 : 10:20:18 AM
In 2000 and 2001 I bought three 8mm carcanos on my trips to Springfield Sporters, two TS models and one cavalry carbine. All had intact firing pins. Maybe the ones with the clipped firing pins were DP rifles. The Middle East countries did that to DP Enfields.

I fired all three of them with reduced handloads, the same recipe I use in my 8mm model 93 Turks (42 gr. of IMR 4064 or 4895 with 170 gr. and 185 gr. projectiles). Not the most accurate rifles I have. Kick was no worse than a Mosin 44 or a Steyr carbine.

As far as non shooting statements from Springfield Sporters, I had to sign them when I bought the Carcanos. Over the few years I went up there, I probably bought about 15 rifles from them. I also had to sign the statement for; Chinese Hanyang, Chiang Kai Chek, Carcano 41, Brazil 08/34, two Turk 93s, M95M, Dutch 95 carbine, Jap 38.

The exceptions to the non shooting statement were; SMLE .410, No.4 Mk.1 Savage, 96 Swede, CZ24. They all had small tags attached to the triggerguards that said rifle had been headspaced and test fired. EDINOH.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comparable incident

I just found a very instructive thread from 2005 where WesinMI related a similar incident with a 6,5mm Carcano - old milsurp ammunition from Albanian storage had produced a catastrophic casehead failure. The gun handled the ordeal admirably; I shudder to think what might have happened with a Swedish m/96 or a Swiss K 31, not to speak of a modern Blaser R 93. I shall soon repost that thread, and link it here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts