Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doughboy1953
Posted - 12/26/2003 : 8:18:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In "Gun Journal" March 1981, "Ask Ackley" column, PO Ackley discussed tests he ran on 6.5mm and 7.35mm Carcano actions he fitted with an improved .30-06 barrel. Ackley finally blew top of the receiver off with a 50-50 charge of Hercules 2400 powder and Hi-Vel #2 powder: am not sure of powder weight. The bolt stayed in place. The failure mechanism was the same with Spingfield and Enfield actions which blew at the same load that blew the Carcano. So there is nothing inherently unsafe about the Carcano at all.
I am too lazy to dig out my rifles, but would be interesting to compare the receiver ring of a Carcano to Mauser, etc.: it's not a totally fair comparison because the steels aren't the same, but it's a quick and not totally worthless comparison.
If I remember right, in Ackleys relatively well known blow up tests of military actions, the "stoutest" were the Type 38 (#1) and Type 77 (#2) Arisaka actions. However, there was plenty of strength in all the military actions he tested.

Bill Davis
Posted - 11/24/2003 : 3:36:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for strength, I took an 8MM Carcano, stuffed a case with Red Dot pistol powder, crammed an 8MM Lebel (VERY heavy) bullet on top of the mess, and fired it (by remote). No harm to rifle, it fire-formed the case to fit the receiver, and I had to drive the case out with a BIG mallet. I did this a total of 3 times, no apparent harm to the rifle, although it has been 'retired' since then. They are as safe as any other rifle of the period, although the 6.5 round only generates around 35,000 PSI. (...)
Bill Davis

1 - 1 of 1 Posts