Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot surplus ammo through their G41w? I have a bunch of Yugo and Romanian surplus, I'm just wondering if it is safe to shoot out of my rifle. It's a shooter grade rifle in a repo stock, but I still don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That was fine back in the day but I use modern commercial PPU 196 gr SP in my G41 and same in my G43. My G41 cycles flawlessly with the modern PPU and of course it’s not loaded as hot as the surplus, which is a very good thing in these self-loaders. I do have surplus 8mm but I only use that in my bolt rifles and wouldn’t even consider it in my G41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use Romanian 8mm in my k43 with no issues, although with surplus anything there is always some level of risk as far as condition goes

·
Registered
509 Posts
If I had a G41W I would only shoot hand loads lovingly prepared with the choicest match bullets and brass that is gently sized to the chamber. The primers would be hand-selected CCI #34, and the powder would be the finest grade Varget, loaded to reliably cycle the gas system with nary a grain more. Every shot would be an important occasion.

YMMV

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Romanian 8mm in my k43 with no issues, although with surplus anything there is always some level of risk as far as condition goes
I'll probably use the Romanian stuff I have. I don't plan on doing a lot of shooting with this gun, but I'd like to shoot a few rounds just to say I've done it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'll probably use the Romanian stuff I have. I don't plan on doing a lot of shooting with this gun, but I'd like to shoot a few rounds just to say I've done it.
Too add, it is corrosive so with every range session the gun gets completely stripped and cleaned inside out. I'm also using a shooter kit

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,027 Posts
In general you want to avoid hotter ammo.. Such as much of the Yugo 8mm, and all of the Turkish 8mm.
I've used Romanian 8mm in the past with good results in the G41W.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I had a G41W I would only shoot hand loads lovingly prepared with the choicest match bullets and brass that is gently sized to the chamber. The primers would be hand-selected CCI #34, and the powder would be the finest grade Varget, loaded to reliably cycle the gas system with nary a grain more. Every shot would be an important occasion.

YMMV
Agreed! As rare as they are I’d be even more careful than with a G43

·
Registered
571 Posts
In general you want to avoid hotter ammo.. Such as much of the Yugo 8mm, and all of the Turkish 8mm.
I've used Romanian 8mm in the past with good results in the G41W.
I've used just about all milsurp in my 43s. Including turk in new brass (it's not "hot" btw) and it runs just like the other ammo.

G41w has had lots of yugo (in new brass) with zero issues. Matter of fact had it in a 2-gun match and it ran flawlessly...can't say that for the garands that were there..lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've used just about all milsurp in my 43s. Including turk in new brass (it's not "hot" btw) and it runs just like the other ammo.

G41w has had lots of yugo (in new brass) with zero issues. Matter of fact had it in a 2-gun match and it ran flawlessly...can't say that for the garands that were there..lol
Yep, my own shooter G41 runs like a champ. It might not be the best battle rifle (based on biased sources) but it’s a great rifle in my hands. Love mine over any semi I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts