Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
My "Guns" are "safely stored".
They're chained with a honkin' bug hardened chain, secured with 2 whopping big (combination, no keys & only I know the 2 separate combinations) padlocks to a freaking great reloading bench, I built myself (that won't exit the door to the room) because its securely bolted (Glued & screwed together with Carriage bolts with the nuts epoxied to the threads of the securing nuts) by High security specialty bolts!
No you can't remove them from the rack.
Now what?
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Electrical supply

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Couldn't you just lift those guns out from behind that chain? Not sure that's going work the way you have it. Should run the chain through the trigger guards. Or was this meant in jest?
Nope! I designed a Built it with just that possibility in mind. None of them can be removed (except by me, because I have both of the cmbinatiions in my mind).
Look t the layout FIRST FFS.
Then comment. Please!

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
If you look more closely you'll see they can not be pried, slid, bent or lifted out, with that chain in that position. That's why I chose to put it there! You would have to cut the hardened eyes, padlock hasps or chain or chainsaw the bottom section..
Only a simpleton would use a plastic chain.
Its hardened steel the plastic coating is just to protect the finish.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
19° 50′ 9″ N, 66° 45′ 16″ W
Right next to a dirt bike, on top of a white a Fiat Uno & a Durst M5/8 color printer.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Oh no? Prove to me it's not then.
Well, that was easy now wasn't it?
Securely Storing Firearms in the UK - Countryway Gunshop
1. GUN CABINETS

This is likely to be the most probable method of storage for most people, with specially designed gun cabinets widely available for purchase across most stores. There are standard requirements for gun cabinets in the UK and storage units are strongly urged to meet these.

If you’re purchasing a cabinet from a vendor, make sure you ask them to see a test certificate to guarantee the unit is up to scratch. While it is not illegal to use a cabinet which doesn’t meet this standard, it makes your chances of keeping your firearm legally safe considerably higher.

It is advised that cabinets:

• Should be made from sheet steel that is at least 14 swg (standard wire gauge) or 2mm thick
  • Have continuously welded seams or have been formed by bend construction to ensure there are no cracks or weak points
  • Use hinges which are located on the inside of the cabinet. If the hinges are situated on the outside then bolts, blocks or anti-lever bars should be utilised
  • Should use a lock mechanism which is also located on the inside of the cabinet and contain at least 5 levers
  • Contain a separate lockable storage unit to keep ammunition safe
  • Full-length side hinged cabinets should also have two locks – with these located one third and two thirds of the way up the unit

While these requirements are perhaps not as stringent as some of the other laws we’ve encountered, it is still important to keep your gun cabinets as up to spec as possible. Keeping your weapons safe means you eliminate a potential threat before it can even begin to take shape.

Gun cabinets are without question the safest way to store you weapons and are as such highly advised to be used.
2. GUN CLAMPS

Gun cabinets are certainly not the only alternative, however. Gun clamps are another popular method of storage – with these units being considerably smaller for those worried about a cabinet taking up a large amount of space in their home.

Similarly to the cabinet, these clamps must be made out of steel which is 14 swg or 2mm thick, have seam-welded joints or be forged via the use of bend construction and have a lock which meets the requirements of the BS 3621 standard issue.

At worst, a very good quality padlock can be fitted to negate that step – but it is actively encouraged the required standard is met in order to ensure there’s as much safety as possible in the storage process.
3. STEEL CABLES

While it is advised you use one of the previous two methods to store your guns, the use of a regular steel cable is at times also an option. In this instance, a reinforced or industrial strength padlock will probably be enough to secure your weapon.

The complicated part of this storage device comes in the form of the installation process. In order to install the steel cable in a manner which ensures heightened safety, it is encouraged you:

• • Place the cable in a room which does not have direct access to the outside (making it harder for someone to stroll into and pick the gun up willy-nilly) • Prevent the cable from being installed in a shed or an outside building • Make sure you take into account the load bearing strength of your floors if the device is of a heavier variety • Try to attach the cables in such a way that they’re connected to either concrete blocks, a brick wall or the floor • Keep the container out of view when someone walks into a room. Keeping a firearm in the corner can help prevent it from being noticed by intruders • Avoid fixing the container near a heat source

Barrel blocks and trigger guards are also considered by some to be effective storage devices, but it is generally advised to avoid them in favour of the units listed above.

Failure to properly secure your weapons could result in a thief or, even worse than that, a loved one, getting access to them and causing damage to themselves or others. Should that occur, the blame falls on the owner of the air weapon as they are legally the person who is responsible for the gun itself.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
It doesn’t do a lot of good to choose a steel lock and chains then attach it to thin wood. One good kick and that is broken in half and the guns can be removed
Err, Umm
Marine 5 ply
Washers & fender washers.
Go ahead, I invite you to do so!
When would you like to come?

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
I was just wondering why that last paragraph specifically said air weapon instead of say...firearm?
To differentiate a low MV "air rifle or air pistol" from high MV air weapon,
UK* LEGAL LIMIT for an AIR RIFLE : - MUST BE UNDER 12 FOOT POUNDS of energy with all pellets that it can fire
UK* LEGAL LIMIT for an AIR PISTOL : - MUST BE UNDER 6 FOOT POUNDS OF ENERGY with ANY pellets it can fire.
because by (legal) definition a "Firearm" must be propelled by combustion, not compression, in the U.K.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
And if a citizen in the UK chooses to ignore all of what you posted, and simply store his guns against a wall in his closet, is that allowed ?
Of course not, don't be ridiculous!

That would make him a criminal. Being a criminal he's automatically lost his FAC (gun permit) & all his firearms MUST be surrendered, remember the Firearms Sergeant is standing IN the room to ensure there are no "Tragic Boating Accidents"!

Plus.
He wouldn't dare!

One of the things you agree to when applying for an FAC is "At Will" inspections of you premises & storage.
I'd get a couple of visits a year, The relationship between gun owners & LEO's is (or was) different there. I'd usually get a phone call about 20 minutes ahead "To Verify I'd be present for the inspection (Nudge, nudge: Wink, wink.) & could "put the kettle on".

My pistol & my rifle were stored in a gigantic oak wardrobe that had to be dismantled to get it into the room in the bottom were several ammunition cans for storing the pistols, (minus an essential part of the mechanism, usually the bolt or slide) which were stored in separate locked ammo cans. Any ammunition was in yet another ammo can similarly attached. The cans were padlocked, each one with a separate key or combination & bolted to the base of the wardrobe with carriage bolts with just the domed end outside. Inside there were washers, fender washers, & the nut. All were epoxied to the threaded part of the bolt.
He'd actually try to open the lids & lift the cans, before passing it again till next time.

It use to be £1,000 fine & 1 year in jail for each offense, I don't know what it is currently.
Each firearm was an offense as was each round of ammunition was a separate offense.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
My old veteran neighbor in NH before I retired had his "solution" to his potentially stolen firearms. He had a sign on his den gun cabinet that said, "Do not remove the Special Ammo." I asked him what was Special?" He said he was robbed twice in the past. He had a box or two of .30-06 ammo loaded with 50 grains of BULLEYE. He figured the next robber may want to try out his newly stolen Garand. He advised, "If that guy is on planet Earth when he shoots, we will hear it!" He had other "Special" handgun loads on hand.

Webley
That's considered rigging a booby trap & Illegal.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Now wait a minute, I recall a couple posts of yours back that criticized my saying that UK gun owners are required to store their weapons a certain way. You made it appear that what I said wasn't true. Now this post of yours makes it seem I was right. So which is it?

Where I live, at least for now anyway, I am not required to store my firearms in any other way than I see fit. And that's what I was touching on, and how it should be!
Nope I didn't, READ it. Actually read & comprehend the words written.
I chose to use a wardrobe, not a safe.
Both are true if you actually read instead of skimming them.
Here, let me assist with some highlighting.
1. GUN CABINETS

This is likely to be the most probable method of storage for most people, (not REQUIRED, simply likely) with specially designed gun cabinets widely available for purchase across most stores. There are standard requirements for gun cabinets in the UK and storage units are strongly urged to meet these.

If you’re purchasing a cabinet from a vendor, make sure you ask them to see a test certificate to guarantee the unit is up to scratch. While it is not illegal to use a cabinet which doesn’t meet this standard, it makes your chances of keeping your firearm legally safe considerably higher.

It is advised that cabinets:

• Should be made from sheet steel that is at least 14 swg (standard wire gauge) or 2mm thick
  • Have continuously welded seams or have been formed by bend construction to ensure there are no cracks or weak points
  • Use hinges which are located on the inside of the cabinet. If the hinges are situated on the outside then bolts, blocks or anti-lever bars should be utilised
  • Should use a lock mechanism which is also located on the inside of the cabinet and contain at least 5 levers
  • Contain a separate lockable storage unit to keep ammunition safe
  • Full-length side hinged cabinets should also have two locks – with these located one third and two thirds of the way up the unit

While these requirements are perhaps not as stringent as some of the other laws we’ve encountered, it is still important to keep your gun cabinets as up to spec as possible. Keeping your weapons safe means you eliminate a potential threat before it can even begin to take shape.

Gun cabinets are without question the safest way to store you weapons and are as such highly advised to be used.

2. GUN CLAMPS

Gun cabinets are certainly not the only alternative, however. Gun clamps are another popular method of storage – with these units being considerably smaller for those worried about a cabinet taking up a large amount of space in their home
. <<< READ this bit s-l-o-w-l-y

Similarly to the cabinet, these clamps must be made out of steel which is 14 swg or 2mm thick, have seam-welded joints or be forged via the use of bend construction and have a lock which meets the requirements of the BS 3621 standard issue.

At worst, a very good quality padlock can be fitted to negate that step – but it is actively encouraged the required standard is met in order to ensure there’s as much safety as possible in the storage process.
3. STEEL CABLES

While it is advised you use one of the previous two methods to store your guns, the use of a regular steel cable is at times also an option. In this instance, a reinforced or industrial strength padlock will probably be enough to secure your weapon.
(ADVISED, not "Required")

The complicated part of this storage device comes in the form of the installation process. In order to install the steel cable in a manner which ensures heightened safety, it is encouraged you:

• • Place the cable in a room which does not have direct access to the outside (making it harder for someone to stroll into and pick the gun up willy-nilly) • Prevent the cable from being installed in a shed or an outside building • Make sure you take into account the load bearing strength of your floors if the device is of a heavier variety • Try to attach the cables in such a way that they’re connected to either concrete blocks, a brick wall or the floor • Keep the container out of view when someone walks into a room. Keeping a firearm in the corner can help prevent it from being noticed by intruders • Avoid fixing the container near a heat source

Barrel blocks and trigger guards are also considered by some to be effective storage devices, but it is generally advised to avoid them in favour of the units listed above.

Failure to properly secure your weapons could result in a thief or, even worse than that, a loved one, getting access to them and causing damage to themselves or others. Should that occur, the blame falls on the owner of the air weapon as they are legally the person who is responsible for the gun itself.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
No. READ what I wrote.
It must be "secure" the descriptions given above in detail explain what that means.
but:
secure
verb

secured; securing

Definition of secure (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

1a : to relieve from exposure to danger : act to make safe against adverse contingencies secure a supply line from enemy raids

b : to put beyond hazard of losing or of not receiving : guarantee secure the blessings of liberty — U.S. Constitution

c : to give pledge of payment to (a creditor) or of (an obligation) secure a note by a pledge of collateral

2a : to make fast secure a door secure a bike to a tree

b : to take (a person) into custody : hold fast : pinion

3a : to get secure usually lasting possession or control of secure a job

b : bring about, effect

4 : to release (naval personnel) from work or duty

intransitive verb

1 of naval personnel : to stop work : g
o off duty

2 of a ship : to tie up : berth

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
What I was getting at with Plonker is that in the UK citizens aren't allowed freedom of choice to be able to store firearms where and how they deem fit in their own homes.
You never ever asked that question!
If you had I'd have simply replied "No"!
Now to the details, most of which you're terribly misinformed on.

1: What "U.K."?
Scotland, Northern Ireland & The Republic of Eire & Wales too, since "Devolution" all have separate & differing laws.

2: "Right of self defense"
Also "NO" since DORA** came into effect in 1914. Until then there were no permits & no requirements. "Equal opposing force" was the law.

3: "In the UK, if a homeowner left a firearm in a cupboard or night table, and he used it in self defense, then upon investigation, the authorities found out where and how he stored his weapon, he'd be held liable due to his not following mandated procedures in how to store said weapon. "
Also in much of the U.S.!

Reality check:
Its is EASIER to get a permit to own (FAC) in most of England & Wales than it is in many parts of the U.S.A! shocker, no?
How do I know?
I've had one in both.

New York, City & State make it virtually impossible.
New Jersey requires an FOID, the equivalent of a British FAC.
Maryland has tighter regulations on ownership AND STORAGE, than most of England.
Illinois also requires a FOID!
4: There is no equivalent law in England, Scotalnd, Northern Ireland & The Republic of Eire & probably Wales to the Second Amendment!
The inhabitants are "Subjects of The Crown", not 'Citizens", a major difference.
Firearms ownership is a "privileged", mandated by the laws of the land
Its a Sovereign Nation with utterly different Rules & social contracts. You can tell that because of the "Big, Blue Wet Thing" separating them.
You can't apply American laws to the English, nor the other way round & its silly to compare backed on a lack of real information.

But we seem not to need to shoot innocents to death over petty disagreements, like a packet of ketchup, or a mixed up fast food order, on an almost daily basis.
Much of your "freedom is illusory"!
** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_of_the_Realm_Act_1914

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Come on pal, trying to make it appear that some states here are worse off than the UK as far as gun laws, is apples and oranges. Yes, we have some states with tough gun laws, I emphasize "some". Not all. Not even most, some. New York, NJ, California, yes, they have tough laws, but, all allow for self defense of one's life and property. We have a constitutional right to self defense. None would convict if a citizen exercised his right to self defense, and it were deemed such by law enforcement after investigation.

There's no comparison, none when it comes to a country who makes self defense a right, and one where it's not a right, not even allowed. I can't fathom a reason why a person is not allowed to defend themselves from a criminal, or at least if they do they still get into trouble. That's absolutely ludicrous.
BWHAHAHaHahaha!
Again, you're responding to something having zero to do with the question.
Furniture Cartoon Table Chair Sharing

Is it the "N", or the "O"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts