Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not talking gun safes. I'm speaking of these legislators who think they have a right to impose sanctions on our ability to store our firearms in our own homes as we see fit. I for one am the one who decides how to store my firearms in my own house, not the Government.

As far as I'm concerned, if my doors are locked, then that's as far as the law should go, period. Anyone breaks in and steals my property, they are the ones at fault not me. Yet there are lawmakers who will tell you simply locking your doors isn't enough. Well to me it is, and again, my house my rules, end of story.

It's one thing if you have small children at home. Ok, I can understand locking up the items you don't want them getting their hands on. Well I don't have small children in my house. My grandkids are almost grown so it's a non issue. But, if the Government has any say it would be, and that is wrong!

What would be next, they tell you what color toilet to take a dump in?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Methinks push for "safe storage" which would require expensive safes, locks, etc. is part of the "death of 1000 cuts) as a tool against gun ownership. Many ways to "tax" and it's just another one of them.
I recall reading a while back one one of the alt-news internet sites about a movement, or proposal, among businessmen in Milwaukee or something to refuse to pay taxes since they were not being well served by police or fire department in the summer of the BLM "peaceful protests". In effect, the argument was that the authorities were NOT meeting their end of the social contract bargain. It seemed to me to be a fairly legitimate anti-tax argument. Your view that locking the doors should be adequate makes sense and is in line with that mindset.
Having said that, methinks the track records of those fighting city hall aren't good, unless you can find the right judge. I never recall any followup on the report of those potential tax protests (and maybe I dreamed them all along).so there's lots of risk involved any time you disobey the rules, so let's hope such rules never get passed.
I might also add, based on some of the sources I read, some of the Democrat anti-gunners being quoted are AWFULLY cavalier about the Constitution. And I've seen some being quoted as to "the constitutional right to abortion". I don't think they're talking about the same Constitution I thought I was familiar with.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Sidney ------- My thoughts exactly. The way I store and position my pieces in my own house is no one else's business but my own. Like yourself my children and grand children are all grown and out on their own, well away and out from under my roof. If I prefer to have a weapon very close to my "easy chair" and my "bed" in the off chance some nares-do-well thinks I'm an easy target, they will very quickly come to realize I'm not quite as easy as they first thought. I don't want to have to reach very far or take the time to insert a magazine in my piece or load a cylinder before I convince them I'm not an easy target.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I might also add, based on some of the sources I read, some of the Democrat anti-gunners being quoted are AWFULLY cavalier about the Constitution. And I've seen some being quoted as to "the constitutional right to abortion". I don't think they're talking about the same Constitution I thought I was familiar with.
Same constitutional right -- freedom from government interference in what you do inside the four walls of your (or someone else's) house, within reasonable limits. Call it whatever you like, it is still just about freedom from government interference -- and if you're not in favor of all freedoms for all, you must believe that you are entitled to pick and choose which freedoms you get and which ones others get.

·
Registered
729 Posts
30 years ago I dated a girl who’s father had a gun in every room. Under the couch. In the garage. He was a front line Korean War vet , mostly def from it and a bit crazy. Everytime I saw him he would pull out a new gun to show me. It’s his fault for me also being deplorable. All my guns are locked up except 1 on my hip. A couple are available quickly if needed

·
Registered
175 Posts
I worked too hard and spent a lot of money to acquire all the guns I have just to have them lay around in my home unsecured so that some low life(s) break into my home and have easy pickings to my collection. which is why I bought a safe the same time I bought my first gun, to secure my collection.
And that is your personal choice. As it should be, not the dictate of some nitwit politician.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My position on this is pretty "jacked out"...

My dad was a " gunny" on a Canadian Corvette in the last year of WW2 .Not too many guns but a certain level of responsibility. He was definitely a "90 Day Wonder"; out of the Officer Training at King's College in Halifax.

His own father was a sergeant (promoted through the ranks) on a Field Battery (18 pounder QF) during the last years (on active service after August 20, 1917 to the end of conflict) in WWI. Was due for a commission but the cessation nixed that.

If I stated that we grew up with guns in our family...a reasonable Canadian might recognize this as understatement or polite preamble.

I took our family's Luger to school at 13 years old (with permission) in order to illustrate my position that John Moses Browning's M1911 was SO much easier to manufacture (and toss) that the behemoth of American production had doomed all adversaries...lucky the conflict was not in our streets...or schoolyards!?!

So, I was never a stranger to guns or gun safety.

Fast forward...

I have an older brother who is the eldest child in our family. For a number of different reasons he attracted some level of interest and focus. Sadly, for us, as a family, somewhere in his mid-twenties, it became apparent that my brother was lapsing into a rather severe form of mental illness.

He was, at this time, an adult and a gun owner.

I don't need to flesh out all the details but I can inform my interested colleagues, here, that something excessively troubling transpired and a SWAT team had to be called to intervene. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

My father took it upon himself to "look after" my brother, allowing him to live on his property as my brother had effectively divorced himself from any hope of gainful employment.

The depth and strength of my brother's illness is hard to embrace...unless you have experienced a similar situation.

My father chose to retain his own weapons...despite this situation and had all of our family's weapons on the same property.

My brother did something excessively aggravating to a local police force that was rather more hilarious than threatening... but the officers were impelled to a "Red Flag" state.

They tailed my brother to his residence...asked my father if he had any access to firearms...and confiscated all of our family's weapons.

They did this as due diligence...they had a right (duty!!) to effect this warrant.

My brother was an adult, achieving the age of majority...but he had, also, lapsed into a state of mental illness...still had his guns...no reason for the police to confiscate anything until AFTER a compromising event.

As a family we were lucky enough to only experience violence from my brother directed toward us; his family members.

But, one time, while I was visiting...my dad asked me to go through my brother's belongings while he was away.

My father was worried that Lewis had some things along with his "ideation"...sure enough...he had 4 boxes of .350 Remington Magnum ammo for my dad's Model 600.

I guess what I'm trying to import is that we were always a law abiding, gun owning, family...but one of our own went WAY OFF THE RESERVATION...

Luckily...nothing overly troubling to the general population...just a two man blue team and a SWAT team after the two man got beat up...couple of black eyes and 911 calls, a lawsuit or two along the way...wasted time...thank GOD he never used a gun according to the "voices" in his head!!

I do agree that any legislation should not be arrived at through observance of conspicuous aberration...but the gun violence in the USA is outstanding and overly conspicuous.

I used to consider Muslim ideation as detrimental to their own role in American society. I grew up Catholic in Toronto but I fell away from any organized religion...whatever...

If you want your "freedom" with your guns...be smart and "walk the line".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like most other things, freedoms are taken one piece of legislation at a time. We put these under the guise of "think of the children" or some other dreck, instead of putting the proper blame or responsibility on the ones who do something wrong.
I live alone with no minors visiting. I do have my weapons in a safe because I want a modicum of fire and easy theft protection, well and the gov says I must do it or lose my rights to own firearms.
What I find interesting is I have kitchen knives that are individually worth more than many of my long guns, and which are fully capable of killing, yet there is no legislation "yet" that makes me lock them up or get a license to own them. I guess I should look to Britain as to where Canada is going next.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When I was a kid...

I lived in Toronto (I know...sounds like a limerick!!).

Toronto had school associated shooting clubs....good enough...

But , luckily enough....we had a "cottage property" about 5 hours north...I won't bore the membership.

There was a separation...between realities...Toronto/Lake Penage...no need to bore.

Uncle Dan had a razor sharp view of what was really demanding...otherwise...who cares?? Skin the beavers on the summer kitchen table.

A gun safe was a rather short ride in a small boat....overboard...no requirement...no trouble

We threw a lot of guns overboard...but there was a Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special that just sat on the wall.

It was their father's rifle...they hated their father and would never touch it.

Someone stole it after Uncle Dan got tractored out to a nursing home. Rusty Fuc*er!

'

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are some European countries that require your guns to be stored in an approved safe at home, or if that's not available, at your local gun club where there is an approved safe. It works okay there. Doesn't work so well in the States. Americans want to keep their guns wherever. And that's fine as long as you're willing to accept the consequences and liability of that decision.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There are some European countries that require your guns to be stored in an approved safe at home, or if that's not available, at your local gun club where there is an approved safe. It works okay there. Doesn't work in the U.S. Americans want to keep their guns wherever. And that's fine as long as you're willing to live with the consequences and liability of them being stolen much easier and potentially used to commit crimes.
That's true for those who can afford it. A good friend in the UK is an avid wingshooter and deer hunter. He has the necessary permits, and his guns are stored and locked in accordance with the law. He isn't really all that bothered by the rules, says they're pretty easy to comply with. And he's been deer hunting with a suppressed rifle for many, many years -- no one deer hunts here without a suppressor.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That's true for those who can afford it.
This is very germaine to my own point of view. No harm; no foul..who cares what I choose to do with my own firearms?!?

I may choose to throw out my old pillow...too.

My property...my choice!!

Just get rid of them in as an unobtrusive fashion as demands require...NO WORRIES...plenty of new guns on the rails coming along!!

We ONLY have the trouble we can afford.

When I was in a mood to sell...someone should have bought!!! I made offers I thought were irresistible!

The world will only be deprived of a few guns that hold fascination for a few enthusiasts.

I can afford to let them go....my property...my choice...

The only offering I had proved questionable so let's accept it as a "let go"...no trouble...

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,298 Posts
My position on this is pretty "jacked out"...

My dad was a " gunny" on a Canadian Corvette in the last year of WW2 .Not too many guns but a certain level of responsibility. He was definitely a "90 Day Wonder"; out of the Officer Training at King's College in Halifax.

His own father was a sergeant (promoted through the ranks) on a Field Battery (18 pounder QF) during the last years (on active service after August 20, 1917 to the end of conflict) in WWI. Was due for a commission but the cessation nixed that.

If I stated that we grew up with guns in our family...a reasonable Canadian might recognize this as understatement or polite preamble.

I took our family's Luger to school at 13 years old (with permission) in order to illustrate my position that John Moses Browning's M1911 was SO much easier to manufacture (and toss) that the behemoth of American production had doomed all adversaries...lucky the conflict was not in our streets...or schoolyards!?!

So, I was never a stranger to guns or gun safety.

Fast forward...

I have an older brother who is the eldest child in our family. For a number of different reasons he attracted some level of interest and focus. Sadly, for us, as a family, somewhere in his mid-twenties, it became apparent that my brother was lapsing into a rather severe form of mental illness.

He was, at this time, an adult and a gun owner.

I don't need to flesh out all the details but I can inform my interested colleagues, here, that something excessively troubling transpired and a SWAT team had to be called to intervene. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

My father took it upon himself to "look after" my brother, allowing him to live on his property as my brother had effectively divorced himself from any hope of gainful employment.

The depth and strength of my brother's illness is hard to embrace...unless you have experienced a similar situation.

My father chose to retain his own weapons...despite this situation and had all of our family's weapons on the same property.

My brother did something excessively aggravating to a local police force that was rather more hilarious than threatening... but the officers were impelled to a "Red Flag" state.

They tailed my brother to his residence...asked my father if he had any access to firearms...and confiscated all of our family's weapons.

They did this as due diligence...they had a right (duty!!) to effect this warrant.

My brother was an adult, achieving the age of majority...but he had, also, lapsed into a state of mental illness...still had his guns...no reason for the police to confiscate anything until AFTER a compromising event.

As a family we were lucky enough to only experience violence from my brother directed toward us; his family members.

But, one time, while I was visiting...my dad asked me to go through my brother's belongings while he was away.

My father was worried that Lewis had some things along with his "ideation"...sure enough...he had 4 boxes of .350 Remington Magnum ammo for my dad's Model 600.

I guess what I'm trying to import is that we were always a law abiding, gun owning, family...but one of our own went WAY OFF THE RESERVATION...

Luckily...nothing overly troubling to the general population...just a two man blue team and a SWAT team after the two man got beat up...couple of black eyes and 911 calls, a lawsuit or two along the way...wasted time...thank GOD he never used a gun according to the "voices" in his head!!

I do agree that any legislation should not be arrived at through observance of conspicuous aberration...but the gun violence in the USA is outstanding and overly conspicuous.

I used to consider Muslim ideation as detrimental to their own role in American society. I grew up Catholic in Toronto but I fell away from any organized religion...whatever...

If you want your "freedom" with your guns...be smart and "walk the line".
Research the color of those involved in gun violence.

·
Registered
18,280 Posts
My "Guns" are "safely stored".
They're chained with a honkin' bug hardened chain, secured with 2 whopping big (combination, no keys & only I know the 2 separate combinations) padlocks to a freaking great reloading bench, I built myself (that won't exit the door to the room) because its securely bolted (Glued & screwed together with Carriage bolts with the nuts epoxied to the threads of the securing nuts) by High security specialty bolts!
No you can't remove them from the rack.
Now what?
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Electrical supply

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Research the color of those involved in gun violence.
My brother is pretty white!! Luckily he never perpetrated any violence that was gun related. But I don't associate his mental illness with skin colour.

Just store your firearms responsibly...whatever you accept that as being...you decide...none of my business...

My story is simply a cautionary tale.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I worked too hard and spent a lot of money to acquire all the guns I have just to have them lay around in my home unsecured so that some low life(s) break into my home and have easy pickings to my collection. which is why I bought a safe the same time I bought my first gun, to secure my collection.
And do you keep your defense firearms locked away and unusable as well?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I guess I made it appear that my guns are lying around everywhere. Theyre not. I do have most of them locked up, simply because I don't want them to be stolen. I was trying to make a point regarding Govt overreach into our homes. However, I keep several defense firearms in places that only I and my wife know where they are. This is by design in the Godforsaken event a bad guy come knocking. Any safe storage law would render a persons ability to protect themselves severely hampered, assuming they complied.

Again, it should not be the Govts job to tell us what we can and cannot do in our own homes, assuming it's not illegal activity like selling drugs etc from the home.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts