Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning rifles and noticed my M91 Westinghouse is SA marked. I was wondering why it had a matching bolt...now I know. It is a very nice one. Regards, Rick.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,925 Posts
What letter is on top of the receiver tang next to the rear action screw? It should be a M, E, or H with an arrow to the left side to indicate which of the three main Westinghouse plants assembled it.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,295 Posts
What letter is on top of the receiver tang next to the rear action screw? It should be a M, E, or H with an arrow to the left side to indicate which of the three main Westinghouse plants assembled it.
Homer, is there any info on which letter corresponds to which factory? I tried to find that a few weeks ago and ended up looking at pin up girls or something... I need to stay off of google.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,042 Posts
Homer, is there any info on which letter corresponds to which factory? I tried to find that a few weeks ago and ended up looking at pin up girls or something... I need to stay off of google.
Could also be A marked. The "Allied Contract" book has this info.

Also - Sakorick: You may know this but the bolt has been renumbered by the Finns - it isn't original to the gun.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I do. When I noticed it was matching I immediately found the boxed SA. I haven't see any matching Westys so I knew it was a force match. That is still a good thing IMHO as it was headspaced and proof fired. I believe all the captured Finns were force matched. Regards, Rick.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,925 Posts
Could also be A marked. The "Allied Contract" book has this info.

Also - Sakorick: You may know this but the bolt has been renumbered by the Finns - it isn't original to the gun.
Sparky has it. "Allied Contracts in WWI" book has probably the most information on the Westinghouse contract out there and list some of the contractor codes. Some are unknown.

But three major assembly lines made these. E is for East Springfield, Mass. H is the Chicopee Falls Hill Plant. M is for Meriden.

If that is an A on the barrel with an arrow, the barrel would be a Fox barrel. Fox also made receivers, but never made complete rifles.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sparky has it. "Allied Contracts in WWI" book has probably the most information on the Westinghouse contract out there and list some of the contractor codes. Some are unknown.

But three major assembly lines made these. E is for East Springfield, Mass. H is the Chicopee Falls Hill Plant. M is for Meriden.

If that is an A on the barrel with an arrow, the barrel would be a Fox barrel. Fox also made receivers, but never made complete rifles.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, Homer. Good stuff and now we all know. Regards, Rick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts