Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got this for sale over on the Trader but haven't had any bites on it yet. What would be a fair price to ask for this rifle? I think it's listed too high. I have no idea of its value other than what I've been seeing on the internet. Thanks everyone.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?352469-WTS-WWII-SA-M1-Garand
I would say you should ask $1200.00 most likely would go tops $1000.00. If it was a unissued since rebuild maybe more. You need to state also what CMP grade it was and year sometimes helps value.
I do not have the cash at all right now if I did I would not go over $1000.00 total and that would be only if I needed it for a hole in my collection.
You might try gunbroker have a opening bid of $1000.00.
Hope this helps you a little.
Barry In MO.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yes I know about that auction, its been talked about
Thats where someone that had more money than sense bid. Once in a lifetime home run for the seller
I have three mint 1960's rebuilds and if I could get $1500 each the would be gone

Back to the OP's rifle, if it wasnt marked on legs it would be worth more as a mostly correct rifle, still wouldnt be worth $1600 he was asking
Original WWII barrel ,receiver combos in good conditio are getting hard to find

·
Registered
545 Posts
A realistic selling price would probably be between $750-900. The value killer is the post war stock and the ep'd rebuild mark on the receiver leg which would make an accurate restoration impossible.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
While I would most certainly agree that particular auction shows signs of - to borrow a phrase - "irrational exuberance"... it takes 2 to tango. It also brings up another point..

A recent GCA journal article on a RRAD rebuild mentioned that some collectors are doing a disservice to the M1's heritage by "correcting" what might be a historical rifle. The EP marking is part of the rifle's history, same as an MO or DDR mark on a Mosin, or some Waffenamt code on a Mauser. They are well-documented as to their origin, so are a historical point in the rifles path through time. In as-issued condition from the arsenal, it might fill some hole in someone's collection to that end.

For me, a "restored correct" rifle is really only worth the sum of it's parts, whereas an "original correct" would obviously be worth a good deal more. In the case of rifles similar to the linked auction I posted above - I would put a slight premium on an arsenal re-finished rifle (not THAT much) if it appeared unused, or showed all the correct hallmarks of that particular rebuild, or was otherwise documented to that effect over a run-of-the-mill mixmaster - or perhaps even a "restored correct" rifle. Condition and provenance is everything, though.

I'm NOT saying that is what the original poster has, and would agree the value for his is somewhere in the $900 - $1400 range (perhaps more - depends entirely on the venue and interested buyers). It doesn't look in the condition to warrant any sort of "irrational exuberance", at least the owner can point to something that shows a part of it's history. (Edit - it is a nice rifle in any case!)

IR

·
Registered
324 Posts
This has nothing to do with the asking price but the rebuild marks. If I may ask, why the big fuss over rebuild marks? Are rebuild marks bad? Did they do bad work? Did they use bad parts? I am in the dark here so please shed some light on this. My Dad told me about unloading M1's and carbines during the Vietnam war for ARVN troops. I know it is not ww2, but it is part of the history and what followed ww2. I think its cool these rifle have gone through the wars and still the government kept them ready just incase. When they do run out of these at the CMP and it will happen the price will go up. Look at what happened to the RC k98k, $100-150 is now up to $325-600 or more depending on how bad they want it. Even the m91/30 mosin are starting to go up. Local shop got 5 in and tagged at $169-179 I got my first for $59 out the door.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I agree that I started the asking price too much and intend to lower it once my week is up on the trader. I did pull out my CMP paperwork which states that the rifle was bought in 2005 and is a field grade. All in all, a very slick and nice rifle. The thing that sticks out to me the most, and it may not for everyone else is that most of the parts are correct for the serial number and barrel year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.