Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize, I know this has been posted before, but I wasn't interested then. I have a Bulgarian SA93 milled receiver AK, in 7.62. It's a postban with the all-in-one piece stock. I have replaced the trigger group with a Tapco set, and now I want to get rid of the awful stock. What other changes do I have to make to stay legal and yet get a more conventional stock?

·
Registered
763 Posts
http://www.gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

This is a very good checklist that will allow you to decide on what US parts you want in order to stay compliant as well as minimize cost/work involved. If you don't thread the barrel and add a bayo lug then you're one less imported part to consider. I'd go with Bulgarian furniture and use a magazine with US floorplate and follower. That should be in compliance according to the checklist.

I assume the Tapco fc set includes the trigger, hammer, and disconnector? If only two parts then add a US pistol grip that matches the Bulgarian type.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
One factor you have to consider is the type of stock you'll use.
These SA and SLR Bulgarian rifles have only a top tang on the receiver.
Some receivers were slotted for a lower tang, some were not cut.

Your choices are:
Install a lower tang.
If the receiver is cut for a tang this is a matter of riveting in a lower tang.
If the receiver is not cut, you'll have to cut the slot through the "bulk head" between the stock socket and the inside of the receiver, then rivet in the tang.
Another option here is to use button-head socket screws and nuts instead of rivets. This eliminates having to get a riveting tool that will work in that area. The screws are plenty strong enough and using Loctite on the nuts gives a permanent job.
All you have to do is make some small clearance cuts on the wood socket area to clear the nuts.
In either case, you have to remove one trigger guard rivet and drill another hole in the receiver for the rear rivet or screw.

Second option is to buy a special SA-SLR butt stock kit from Ironwood Designs. This mounts with a through-bolt through a hole in the stock and screws into a special square nut that fits inside the receiver.
This eliminates having to alter the receiver or install a lower tang, and the Ironwood stock is very strong.
All you have to do is install the stock and tighten the bolt.
The only down side is that you can't put a cleaning kit in the stock.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEW3B12_2.html

What NOT to do.... DON'T just put a stock on the rifle without a tang or by using the Ironwood stock.
First, a standard milled type stock will have a cut for a tang on the lower side and without a tang you'll have an open slot in the wood that looks bad.
Most important, the socket in the receiver isn't very deep and and the stock is just wood.
If you use only a top tang and put any stress on the stock it can pull out of the receiver, and this breaks off the upper tang.
Then you're really screwed because the receiver is hardened, especially in that area and you can't just weld the tang back on.

A buddy of mine was at a shoot a few years ago and a shooter was using an SLR-95 rifle. When they went into the prone position, he dropped down and used the stock to lower himself into the prone position, as trained by the military.
He put a little stress on the butt stock and it pulled out, snapping the top tang off the receive.
The same thing can happen if you accidentally give the bottom of the stock a bump.

So, either install a tang or use the Ironwood special stock.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Concur with the tang. Forgot about that. I had one installed once on the same type milled receiver and the fellow botched the riveting. It still worked but wasn't a factory look. Definitely more rigid. Someone else showed how you could use a lag bolt and fender washer through the receiver rear channel but that didn't look right although it worked obviously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.