Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gun shop I go to just got in 4 US Victorys with 4 inch bbl's in .38 special 2 are US Navy marked and 2 are US Property marked . They apear to have the original parkerizing under a layer of grease from what I can tell they look to be in aprox. 85% -90% but they are going to clean off the grease before they put a value on them.I've been looking on some of the auction site's and the seem to go for between $425.00-$700.00. Are the navy one's worth more?????
thank's sureshotbob

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think Victory prices vary by region signficantly - $700 around here will bring a mint example with factory letter. I was offered a nice but not great Victory, maybe 80% original finish, matching grips, for $325 at the OGCA show in July. Earlier in the year I saw one with a nice issue "Boyt" marked flap holster for $250, but the revolver was only 50% and the bore was either pitted or dirty. Neither had Navy markings. I know Victory's are fetching more at the auction sites and the national auction houses but I think you should expect an exceptionally nice revolver above $400, at least I do. Navy marked ones do bring a premium.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help guy's. I'm in Connecticut I do'nt know if that is good or bad but I'm still waiting for the dealer to set a price on the guns. But I'll keep a eye on the auction site's and also on Guns America. I do buy a lot of gun's from this shop and they always give me a good break on there normal price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You never know, one of those Victory Model Revolvers might have been issued to my Dad...LOL. He went through three during the War...LOL. First one stolen from the Squadron's ready room. The second was "liberated" by a crew member on the USS Gabilon when his Avenger was shot down in Tokyo Bay. The last one was issued to him after returning to his squadron for the last few strikes on Tokyo prior to V-J Day.

I'd love to own a Victory Model myself one day down the road.
Mark

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've been looking for a Navy. Let me know what they want for one of them.
thanx
Sarge

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sarge I got the best one about 95 % parkerizing with the top stap marked with the ordinance bomb and US property the left sideplate is navy marked for $550.00 2 of the others had us navy marked on the top strap with some scatered pitting they want $465.00 for them the other one just had us property on the top strap and no grips but I can't remember the price on that one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You did well - you know for $30 you can get the revolver lettered by S&W, its always neat (I think) to find out when a gun was shipped and where it was shipped to. Aslo, if you are interested, two guys are the Smith forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com) in the pre-1945 sub-forum have a Victory database, if you post your seial number there along the above description they will be able to give you an idea of when it shipped.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks will5a1 I've already found that board and joined and plan on adding to the data base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts