Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these really as bad as I am reading? I must admit, most I have seen have shortened barrels and over-sized front sights and workmanship is not too good. But, I read the cylinders were screwed-up too. Any experience shooting these revolvers?

TY Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
52,993 Posts
Not shooting one handle one done by cogswell and Harris the second name not sure of spelling...
Work man ship excellent....timing tight lock ups...about 6 years ago...price $ 350...it. Sold ..

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,895 Posts
Magazine articles in the 1960's discussed these conversions and concluded that the only big problem was if you reloaded. The short .38 S&W chambers were lengthened to take the .38 spl cartridge. This caused a change in the chamber wall where the diameter transitioned from one ctg to the other. Fired cases show this bulge and made reloaders unhappy as fired .38 spl cases had to be fully resized, resulting in shorter case life. Cogswell and Harrison conversions are generally very nicely done.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I don't agree Paul. The C&H conversion was no better than any of the others. The only way to avoid split cases was to shoot 38 S&W and deal with mediocre accuracy as a result of the long bullet jump cause by the lengthened chamber.

·
Copper Bullet member
457 Posts
Another point of view..........I have used one of these conversions for years; and accuracy is very acceptable. Lead bullets do seem to work better, as the bullets may be expanding to fit the bore. The occasional head shot on grouse keeps me happy.

Frank

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
Another point of view..........I have used one of these conversions for years; and accuracy is very acceptable. Lead bullets do seem to work better, as the bullets may be expanding to fit the bore. The occasional head shot on grouse keeps me happy.

Frank
On that note... is there a bullet mold that creates a 'dished' base on the bullet? Probably not as extreme as some shotgun slugs, but for the sme purpose.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,993 Posts
The one I saw looked very good, nice even ware.....didn't shoot it...could have had problems as discussed...but I was tempered and did not get it...

·
Administrator
9,614 Posts
From my own service experience of V -models in service, even the Military issue FMJ in our worn S&Ws was abysmal ( some armoured units still had S&Ws up to the 1970s). Chances of hitting a Man sized target at 10 paces was like trying to shoot at a barn door...you usually missed ( especially on DA.)

Doc AV
2/14 QMI ( 1970-s)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts