Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering which hammer would fit this 6 shot S&W revolver? It appears to be the "Military & Police" model, but there are no Govt. markings. It is chambered for .38 Special. Grips from the No.15 "Combat Masterpiece" fit this revolver rather well.

The serial number on the square butt is 2319xx. The serial number does not have a letter prefix of any kind.

How should I identify this revolver in order to get the correct hammer to fit it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can you post a picture?

If it is an M&P that serial number fits into a range of 1909 - 1915 according to the SCSW, and it would be a 3d Change, Model of 1905, with the S&W logo on the sideplate, patent dates on right side of barrel with ".38 S&W Special CTG" markings. I believe, but am not certain, that only pre-war parts would work, as there where changes made to the hammer and and other internal parts on post war models. I think you would need a hammer and double action sear and some fitting may be necessary. I'd also point out that Smith didn't heat treat their cyclinders until 1919 with serial number 316648, so if you do find a hammer and any other necessary parts, and you want to fire it, light loads only should be used. Assuming, or course, its actually a 3d Change M&P. SARCO and/or Numrich may be able to help with parts, I think I'd contact www.oldwestgunsmith.com and see if he has the parts and would fit them.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I'll try to post a picture of the lockwork soon.

Best regards,

Greg

·
Silver Bullet member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you John. However, I lucked-out. One of my local friends had a hammer.

Best regards,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts