Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
These are an interesting variant, IMO. They can be just as much involved in the war effort as the Victory model itself. S&W production just hadn't been commandeered by the Defense Supplies Corporation (DSC) yet, but many shipped to defense contractors. Yours is a fairly late pre-victory, still in the rich carbonia blue, but the stocks had already changed to smooth walnut. Probably built in February or March 1942.

Some went to Britain, in cal. 38-200. Yours appears to be the 5" barrel, and perhaps a British repatriate?

I would not shoot it until I figured out what is happening with the mainspring strain screw. And I am thinking I can see a lanyard stud?

Good show!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The BPC angle interests me as well. I have an all matching parked V4709### in .38 S&W that is not US PROPERTY marked and has no British service proofs, but has a P proof. Based on S&W records it shipped in Dec of 43, so well into the war. My understanding is that they went to the Army, but then were diverted and stayed States side for industrial target protection.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The BPC angle interests me as well. I have an all matching parked V4709### in .38 S&W that is not US PROPERTY marked and has no British service proofs, but has a P proof. Based on S&W records it shipped in Dec of 43, so well into the war. My understanding is that they went to the Army, but then were diverted and stayed States side for industrial target protection.
Victory Model (and pre-Victory) revolvers fall into four main areas: 1.) purchases by the BPC before Lend-Lease was passed (top strap not marked); 2.) U.S. military purchases, primarily for Navy and Marine Corps aviators (marked U.S. NAVY or U.S. PROPERTY on top strap), 3.) Lend-Lease to allies (marked UNITED STATES PROPERTY on top strap) and 4.) Defense Supplies Corp. (DSC) purchases for domestic use at defense plants and law enforcement organizations (no top strap markings). There are lots of variations and subtleties so pardon me for painting with a broad brush. Your gun (V4709XX) is most likely a DSC gun even though the caliber is "wrong." The only way to know for sure is to get a letter from the S&W Historical Foundation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.