Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just hit the buy it now on this S&W Husky model E in 308 win, kind of a splurge, but hell, you only live once! This is not my first Husqvarna, I have an old pre war model 246, 9.3x62, but it is my first 1640. I am really a total sucker for light weight full stock guns, hooked by BRNOs, and 308 is really hard to beat. So here's the better pictures I have, I'll post more when the gun shows up.

Arrive, the condition is excellent plus.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Nice, but I wondered about the recoil pad. Mine didn't come with one and I wonder if the one on yours is factory? Regardless, it's a fine carbine!

Your carbine is in great shape! You will like it a lot. The .308 is about the perfect cartridge in a carbine of that weight. Kick is very manageable and it just plain kills. Enjoy!

Good to see you posting.

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike- You may be right about the recoil pad, I am not aware of any original husqvarna recoil pads. But it looks like a clean job at least. Here's a better pic of the butt. If it ends up bugging me, I may send it to you for a nicer pad. My shoulder won't mind. I am definitely getting wimpier about recoil and hot 308s hurt. 300 savage load level is more my speed lately.

I am curious about your husky carbine. Got pics? Caliber? Did you hunt with your boys this year? Maybe they're getting older now, time flies.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Pad not original !
Looks some one wanted length ....long armed!
Nice wood...very nice wood.
More pictures on the SW husky are needed!
I had the 308 in the 1900 action.sold if regretfully but it was lest condition of any of mine!
><> Dan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hey Pete, mine isn't as purty as yours but I love the .30-06 and the price on this one was right. Mine too has a pad, though not original, it makes shooting it nice.

The Leupold 4x is light and seems the perfect match.

Hoping to take this one out with the boys this season.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hi eagleye & congrats! That's a beautiful rifle and appearing absolutely mint! Not many such to be found! I also doubt the pad is original. Not from Husqvarna/S&W-rifle expertise. More just from the style of the pad, condition and looking more recent than the rifle. Yet considering the fact of it, also looks perfectly fit. Great work there. All in all, here I think a net plus IF you can use the length.
Generally for me, a collectible rifle (such as I consider yours) with non-original pad... A dichotomy! Preferring originality. Yet difficult to be unhappy with good pad since most buttstock lengths just too short for my frame. 'Stock crawling'; thumb joint practically under nose when firing; especially heavy caliber, no fun!
Anyway, repeating a beautiful gun and one to be proud of & one to add to your other great rifles!!!
Regards and...
My take

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have a model E in .30-06 that has the same pad (old white line). Mine is fit very well to the rifle. I wonder if it was a S&W thing. Great looking rifles!

Take care,
Mike
<><
You might be right, here's pic of a S&W Model E in factory box and it has a pad. I think the notion that the pad wasn't original may have keep people from bidding. Makes Pete's rifle an even nicer snag!

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/263389-help-s-w-husqvarna-model-e.html

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info guys!

Couple questions- Is the stock joined at the line in the fore arm? If so how?

Mike- what kind of a cheek piece have you got on yours. I see in that linked advertisement the model E was to have a monty carlo stock, mine is not what I would normally call a monte carlo stock, the tamer version at least. Which I am glad of, the gaudy curvy monty carlos are kind of hideous. They do hold a kind of historic interest, but not really my cup of tea. I don't remember husqvarna doing any of the really hyper Monte Carlo style.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I made a mistake, mine is a Model D not E. My stock is straight and has a cheek piece, not the Monte Carlo. Sorry about that. It is still a beautiful rifle. Mine has a 2.5x Redfield scope mounted on it.

Take care and enjoy your rifle!
Mike
<><

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the additional info Gentlemen. And, if anyone has a spare, correct front sight hood, I would be interested. z1r? Iskra? DK? Do you guys have sporter part stashes for the end times? Spare a hood for a bro? Thanks!

And another question- can you recommend a good solid one piece base for rings that would fit this action?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.