Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a 30's k22 as a shooter vs a collector. Almost new, but on balance the price premium is maybe 500 over a recent model. It wouldn't be shot too often, and the older revolver, if bought well, ought to retain its value? Anyone experience a 30s double action trigger?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
63,964 Posts
if you are ok with the price, buy, shoot, clean and enjoy,

I have an 80's vintage 17-something,
great shooting revolver, one of my favorites, and mighty accurate

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,439 Posts
Shoot it. Don't worry about decreasing collector value as long as you take care of it. Will suggest carrying it in a rug instead of a holster, but unless it is NIB, don't think you'll hurt its value shooting.

I have experienced 1930s triggers. The old long action triggers are very smooth, but not better than the later short-action triggers IMO. Presume it is a K-22 Outdoorsman rather than the pre-war K-22 Masterpiece (made only 1940, i think, and scarce - maybe different advice in that case).

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, its an outdoorsman. Condition described as " excellent" by a commercial seller, with asking price at $1300. Decent value? Over priced ( i am sure its no bargain, and i don't have Blue Book handy.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,618 Posts
Had K22´s for decades, the most precise .22 revolver ever manufactured, extremely reliable, more than 30 yrs ago I got an 8 3'8 inch barrel that was manufacured for the shooting team of the Guardia Civil {Peruvian police}, scoped it and its performance is similiar to a rifle

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,439 Posts
Yes, its an outdoorsman. Condition described as " excellent" by a commercial seller, with asking price at $1300. Decent value? Over priced ( i am sure its no bargain, and i don't have Blue Book handy.
Well, just what the seller means by "Excellent" would have to be clarified, but It might well be a decent value - but as you surmise, not a bargain IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never owned one that old but I have owned a couple made in the 1980's. The only problem with them is that the chambers are so tight that I have to run a cleaning patch thru them every 50 rounds or so else I can't insert new cartridges into the chambers. I now shoot a Ruger MkII Target instead of a S&W revolver.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have a couple of these prewar Outdoorsman 22 revolvers. Made from 1931 to 1940, they are period pieces and just that. Really in the estimation of many, the subsequent K22 Masterpiece series was simply a better, more evolved gun. I particularly like the early postwar model which carried a narrow barrel rib (which was subsequently considerably widened by perhaps 1950). This early series postwar model is a svelte handgun. A combination of earlier quality build and later production enhancements.
Just my take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.