Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
contender30x30,
I suspect you've already noted that your serial number falls between the cracks of available known serial numbers of latter model Smiths. This happens for a variety of reasons. A prevalent one is where the handgun is a special order model, but less illustrious reasons include just being overlooked somewhere after factory production and before 'doing the numbers' in publication.

After verifying that the number sought is indeed correct and valid for the gun, a common way of arriving at a good estimate is by simple sequential extrapolation. That would put your gun's build around 1994-95. Yet that conclusion isn't a certainty due to such as occasional out of sequence production. If you have the original box, I believe the date may be shown there too. If available, the date is likely reflected in the Julian Calendar. The final step is just to call Smith Customer Service and inquire. The latter as a 'couldn't hurt' try.
If you don't get a firm answer within this Thread, please consider a subsequent post concerning any further efforts just for our edification!
Good luck &...
My take.
Incidentally, just noting the barrel length, a large congratulations! Less common among Smiths in general and a personal favorite of mine!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The S&W serial number system after 1980 is enough to drive a man to drink, but I believe the BDS Prefix was used in April of 89. At least that is what the SCoS&W reads, but the same book shows that engineering change 5 took place in 1997 so I for one don't have the foggiest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So,my friend -it's his revolver-,don't have the original box...and never knows the year'built..no very important .only price and conditions.

between 1994 and 1995 ,no more.

he want to sell it and get the age is better.

thank's!

so long,@lain

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
As I said, the new system of serial numbers is enough to cause a few bad words.;)
I do completely agree that the S&W system is difficult, confusing and there are as I mentioned some guns that fall through the cracks. (I have one such. A specially serialized commemorative of a Federal agency for which I worked.)
But yesterday's performance, I can't legitimately lay blame on anything less than old eyes and also not taking my own advice to verify the SN with which I was working.
I would also add that as difficult as the newer Smiths can be, post 63 Winchester production can be worse. I have two nineties vintage CRF Model 70 rifles that the published data from Winchester would suggest manufactured far earlier than their actual vintage; one by a couple of decades!
We just have to deal with what's available and what other collectors can add from observations and experience.
My take.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.