Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: A friend of mine has a Smith and Wesson 38 Special Model 10-7 his granddaddy bought in 1978. It has a 2 inch barrel. He wants to know if he can shoot magnum rounds in it? And does +P on the bullet description mean extra pressure? (I was curious about that). I'm still new to guns so I am trying to learn myself.

·
Banned
10,840 Posts
Do you mean 0.357 Magnum? No, it should not fit into the cylinder.

+P and +P+ you can use from time to time. If you use them all the time, the revolver will blow up because it is not designed to withstand the regular use of +P and of +P+ ammunitions.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your friend's revolver, chambered for .38 Special, will not blow up if fed a constant diet of +P ammunition - it will wear out quicker, most likely developing cylinder endshake (fore and aft movement of the cylinder at full lock up) sooner than it feed nothing but standard pressure ammo. How quick is a point of contention, but I believe he will find standard pressure ammunition easier on the wallet, ears and gun.

+P does mean more pressure, the max. allowable pressure as published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manfacturer's Institute (SAAMI) for .38 Special is 17000 PSI, +P .38 Special is 18,500 PSI - U.S. Manufacturers adhere to these limits, and its important to note there are no published limits for +P+.

Your friend may find that his revolver is most accurate with 158gr standard velocity ammunition, that is what the factory regulated the sights for and its what most of my Model 10's shoot best.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Will5a1 has it right--+P ammunition isn't going to 'blow up' one's weapon, just wear it out more rapidly. It's like constantly coming to a screeching stop in one's automobile--the tires will wear out faster, but the car won't explode.

Many revolver shooters fire an occasional cylinderfull of +P rounds for familiarization, carry that round in the weapon for defensive purposes, and as WillSa1 suggested, do the other 99% of their shooting with standard ammunition.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Numbered Model 10 series {post-1957} M&P's are fine with FACTORY "+P" ammo.

They can stand alot of it.

Newbies typically wear out or just plumb break revolvers by hard cycling and other poor practices like "Bogarting" the cylinder shut, fanning the hammer and the like as opposed to wearing them out by shooting factory +P ammo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ummm... newbie to revolvers....

Newbies typically wear out or just plumb break revolvers by hard cycling and other poor practices like "Bogarting" the cylinder shut.
Please inform me. What is "hard cycling"?

I'm guessing "Bogarting" is where you snap the revolver by the grip to slam the cylinder, and then you scowl at the dame. Right?

I'm fixin' to find me a nice Model 10 snubbie and don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Please inform me. What is "hard cycling"?

I'm guessing "Bogarting" is where you snap the revolver by the grip to slam the cylinder, and then you scowl at the dame. Right?

I'm fixin' to find me a nice Model 10 snubbie and don't want to mess it up.
Slamming the hammer back, incessant DA of the action while munching on Doritos and watching Untouchables reruns, slapping the cylinder shut, yelling "Freeze...Police...Drop IT!" and then dropping it, pistol whipping the dog...that sort of thing.

You got the "Bogarting" right on the money. Gotta scowl...Gotta scowl! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.